1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have V4, with no solder mod, and Swap Magic 2.. why wont it work?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jasdjense, Jul 4, 2003.

1. jasdjense

jasdjense Member

Anyone out there have a v4 with the no solder mod.. and swap magic? Am I doing something wrong? I cant get ANYTHING to work. The CD ejects like it should. Do I have to use Action Replay or Gameshark?

2. stattousm

stattousm Member

What games are you trying to play? What are they? CD backups, DVD-CD rips, DVD backups?

3. jasdjense

jasdjense Member

I've tried to play some old CDR PS1 backups.. that I know work with my modded ps1. I've burned some ps2 cd roms.. they dont seem to work either. Is the PS2 sensitive to certain types of disks.. or do they have to be burned a certain way? what could I be doing wrong? the no solder mod seems to be working fine.. it ejects the disk and sucks the new disk back in.. just cant get the new disk to boot. I've heard that people have trouble using 80 minute cdrs .. is that true?

4. stattousm

stattousm Member

First off Swap Magic won't play PS1 backups. You will need the extra disc for PS1 that comes with Game Shark/Action Replay.

Second, No-solder will not play CD-rips that are greater then 650mb. Are the cd backups you have rips, or backups of cd based games?

5. psx245

psx245 Regular member

not cd-rips its dvd rips!!

6. stattousm

stattousm Member

Cd-rips, DVD-rips, whatever. Whatever you call them the fact is that the no-solder won't play them if they are over 650mb.

7. jasdjense

jasdjense Member

so did I waste my time? should I look into a soldered mod chip? I havent been able to play a single backup.

8. billz

billz Active member

no, backup a ps2 game and get back to us.

9. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

By the way, you shouldn't have to worry about ps1 games and ps2 cd based games not fitting on 650 mb cdr's because those are the size of the of the original game discs.

10. stattousm

stattousm Member

Here's what WILL play on your no-solder -

1to1 DVD Backups
    1to1 CD Backups
    DVDtoCD Rips that are less then 650mb in size

Make some of these and you will be fine.

11. naailzero

naailzero Member

Hey i have a similar problem...
    I have a V4 ps2, a no solder chip[v4] a gameshark[v2],
    some original dvd games and some backup dvd games...but i can't get them to work!
    The originals i have are GTA 3, Metal gear solid 2 ,
    Final Fantasy 10, And silent hill2...
    the dvd backups are The bouncer, Devil may cry, onimusha and maximo...the company that sold me the chip said i didn't require a swap magic..just a gameshark v2 and an original game...any help would be appreciated..

thanx

12. aliasme

aliasme Member

I got the same problem...I got a PS2 V6 and no solder chip and can't get PS2 DVD games to boot...I'm using AR2 and AR2 V2. Someone help!

13. cazer

cazer Regular member

i had a v4 before it was stolen. i first used gameshark v2. never had a problem. if you want to play a dvd back up then you must use a dvd original dvd game with a larger toc then the back up when using gs2 or ar2. check the threads for game tocs. you should get swap magic its alot nicer then the gs. its what i use now.

14. jasdjense

jasdjense Member

Well... here's the update.

I have made DVD backups and they play fine. Midnight Club 2, Hot Shots Golf 3.. etc.

I have also made CD Backups and they dont seem to work.. I've burned on both 74 min CD-R and 80 min CD-R.

Any thoughts on the CD-R end?

15. naailzero

naailzero Member

Uhhh...what do you mean by table of contents?
    And how do you run it?
    Anyways...is Grand Theft Auto a game with a high table of contents?

16. dvdps2

dvdps2 Regular member

What ps2's play dvd-rw's? Can i burn a dvd and watch it on a v4 ps2 without a modchip? Thanks.

17. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

First of all, if you have a flip top, forget about any no solder mods and just get swap magic. I have a V4 with fliptop, swap magic, and cd loader and can make working backups of any game you throw at me, except for xenosaga and others like it because they are bigger than 4.37gb. Secondly, you do not need any modchip or anything special to play backup DVD movies.

18. jay33

jay33 Regular member

sly, I have the same setup as you. I bet you can't get Freestyle Metal X backup to work.

19. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

I haven't tried it, didn't look like a game I would like. Hopefully they haven't came up with a new type of protection. It is one of the exceptions. Also if you have a flip top and swap magic, whats the point of a no solder mod?? It just seems like another thing to screw up you ps2.

20. cazer

cazer Regular member

all a nonsolder mod does is opens the cd tray up with out the ps2 knowing it is opened. it tricks it. thats why fliptops and the knife trick work as well. the mod has no other use then that. and the toc is the size of the disk. devil may cry i believe is the largest dvd-5 game with 4.37gb just like swap magic dvd. gs2 and ar2 are both cd based disks and that is why you need to use a real dvd game with them to get a dvd backup to work. to get the toc of a game put it in your pc and click proriets to see the size of the disk. and ps games will not work with swap magic you need to use gs or ar for the psone becuase ps2 cds are not the same as psone cds. i never had a problem backing up any game that was not a dvd-9.