1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a dusty PS3 voids your warranty?!?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Bawango, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

So I've been following this story which Kotaku.com is running. Apparently, this dudes PS3 broke so he called Sony to report that his PS3 has in fact stopped working. To make a long story short he was asked by sony to send his PS3 back to have it looked at. A few days after sending the PS3 to Sony, he called to follow up to see what will be sony doing for him since the PS3 is defective. He was told that after Sony's repair department opened the mans PS3, it was deemed too dusty inside therefore voiding his warranty. Now I just finished reading Kotaku and the same gentleman recorded his call to sony and the CS rep told him that dust does not void his warranty. He stated that about 5 supervisors has told him that dust does in fact void the warranty so he is very confused and furious understandably so. I am now concerned. I bought my PS3 on April 2007 and have not had any issues with it. I also have been scouring the net for tips on how to keep the inside of my PS3 dust free or at least minimize the amount of dust that I know is accumulating in my PS3. I also hope that Sony makes an official statement in regards to dust voiding the PS3's warranty.

2. Ike14

Ike14 Member

It's absolute bull if dust voids your warranty...
    SCE need to fix up...accept that dust flies around everywhere and it's going to get into your PS3 if you keep it out in the open so that it's not enclosed causing it to overheat...

3. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

All you have to do to get the dust out is run a vaccum cleaner attahment over the vents of your ps3. If the vaccum is strong enough it should pull a lot of the dust out of it.

4. BoSoxs07

BoSoxs07 Member

Its not Sony job to keep your system clean its yours.Its called responsible owner.

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Internet Rumors or 1 isolated case. Below is part of a verification to a Sony CSR.

6. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

We know that taking care of your PS3 is the owners responsibility however IF you the owner did all you can to make the inside of your PS3 as dust free as possible and it still broke. Whats to say that Sony will not use the "too much dust excuse" even though the root cause of the problem is something else entirely.
    All I am saying is I don't use my PS3 for anything but for what it's made for. I try to keep it as dust free in and out. But now there might be chance that my warranty is being voided as I am writing this because dust is collecting inside my PS3. I know that the rep said "NO" dust does not void your warranty but he was also told by a few other reps and supervisors before that it does. All I want is clarification straight from the horses mouth.

7. mebjolz

mebjolz Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  8. Oner

9. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Playstatons get dusty as fast as hell. Both my PS2 and PS3 get dusty quickly.

10. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

Well, I asked Mr Ed and he says dust won't void the warranty[/quote]
    Lame dude...real lame.

11. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

This link did not have anything to do with the dust issue. All its about was a retraction to a website reporting that the new 40GB PS3's has a fail rate is 40%.

12. Oner

Woops too many open tabs and posted to the wrong one. NVM that post

13. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

I've heard a few horror stories about the warranty being voided on the ps3 for stupid things, and then apparently Sony denied it.

For instance, using an intercooler will apparantly void your warranty. The reasoning for that one is that the way they latch on using a clip is enough to apparently damage the interior of the ps3 and therefore void the warranty, that's what the person was told anyway. As for Sony's response for that claim from what I can find it's non-existent.

Omri, I've said this before and you're driving me nuts why the heck do you troll the ps3 forums when you've got nothing good or even constructive to say other than ps3 sucks or xbox360 is good, you do this constantly and it's getting ridiculous.

14. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

I've never said that o_o

15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Trust me dust is not going to void your warranty.We are not hearing all of the story,so it was probably twisted out of proportion.I can tell you right now with any electronic device such as a TV,game system etc... they will collect dust regardless of how neat you keep it.You can run vacuums,use an air spray can or anything of that nature,but preventing dust from entering any electronic device is impossible.I'm just gonna say don't believe everything you read off the internet.

16. Dumbpoopy

Dumbpoopy Regular member

Well the first ps3 i got i took home and played for like an hour and then it just died (you could imagine the words out of my mouth) that was the 60gb like 3 months ago and i took it back and got a new one which is still working fine.

17. eternalis

eternalis Regular member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  18. Ike14

Ike14 Member

OK, well if my PS3 looked like that...I wouldn't expect Sony to give me much either...
    That PS3 just looks unnatural...

19. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

20. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

No wounder a whole lot of crap over something that's completely ridiculous blaming sony for that. what the heck did he expect to happen to it I'm surprised the damn thing didn't catch on fire. Why would he even show it to sony if it was in that condition other than to start up some crap about Sony's warrenty being bad. I smell something rotten about all this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007