1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a headache with vcr transfer

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by BPMead007, Feb 22, 2007.

1. BPMead007

BPMead007 Member

I just got a Sabrent TV tuner/capture card. I don't have much interest in the TV tuner, I'm just trying to transfer some VHS tapes to my computer, split them up with Windows Movie Maker, and put them on Youtube. It came with WinDVR, which only converts to MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. When I try to capture a video, I end up with a strange file. It plays fine in VLC Media Player. However, in Windows Media Player, the aspect ratio is squeezed in and there's a little logo in the top right corner. I can't capture it directly to Windows Movie Maker, it doesn't recognize the device. When I try to open the MPEG file with Movie Maker, I split the clips up and try to save them, but the resulting length of the clip is different than it was in Movie Maker. So is there any program I can use with Sabrent (preferably some freeware) that will capture the video directly to .AVI? Does anybody know how to make Movie Maker recognize my card? I'm using Windows ME by the way. I know, I know.

2. gargoyle4

gargoyle4 Member

I have to start off by saying I have only been doing vhs capture for a short while so I am not considered an expert.

However I have found that using VirtualDub, was what I found to work pretty good.
    VirtualDub home.
    With it I was able to caputre the vhs tapes. However like any mature program it has a ton of options, so it is not just a simple click and save however once you start to understand it it work good.

Here is one of example of a guide for capturing if you want more just do search for more.
    Guide to capturing, cleaning, and compressing video

VirtualDub has 2 major parts to it video manipulation and video capture. I sounds like you will need to learn both.
    Good luck.