1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a problem with new "not so good" computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Coop91RS, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Coop91RS

Coop91RS Member

Comp seems to run great. Other than these 3 things and I"m not sure how they are related. I cannot upgrade the bios with intels express utility (just says: bios upgrade was unsucessful read the readme file to do something).. I cannot use my fdd (double clicking the icon without a disk says insert a disk.. when a disk is in and I double click icon.. says same thing).. lastly I cannot install any of my PCI cards.. no settings for anything PCI are listed in the bios and when booted with PCI cards installed physically.. nothing at all is detected and obviously nothing works. I have an Intel D845GRG motherboard with 1.7gig Celeron chip. If any other hardware spec is needed. Just ask :)

No sound is really bothering me! lol Thanks!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi coop91RS, These are a couple of guesses from reading your post. Since you tried to upgrade the bios, I'm thinking the bios settings may have gotten screwed up. Go into bios, make sure the floppy disk drive is enabled for 1.44m. Then check to see if your PnP (plug and play) is enabled. This is for auto detection of new hardware. As a last resort, usually at the bottom of the bios page is a number of settings to pick using the F keys. One of them should say hit F-- key to reset the defaults. Try that and then another F-- key to save settings.

Jerry