1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Codec Issues? Look here.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Praetor, Sep 8, 2003.

1. titilucky

titilucky Guest

You're giving what's necessary to install in Nimo, how about K-lite codecs? I heard it's very good and would like to install it, but I want to make it right. Can you help> Thanks.

2. OmEgAx1

OmEgAx1 Member

OK for some reason the codecs decided to ALL shit out on my PC.

I uninstalled every codec and reinstalled the essentials, even uninstalled/reinstalled all my media players to no avail. I did get a temporary fix, though the movies I used to play dont work in WinAmp or DivX player or any other major media player, it seems to work in Media Player Classic (updated open source Win9x media player) and only in that. In DivX player, even though the codecs are reinstalled, it seems to glitch with previous frames constantly, and with WinAmp, the file wont play at all, with VLC Media Player, the video plays (with minor almost negligable glitches) but the sound is extremely distorted.

One problem I did notice however, in my Video Codec Properties in the control panel, I have a "DivX Codec 4.12" that just re-appears upon deletion, installing and uninstalling DivX 4.12 does not remove it. Infact, installing it adds an item in my codec list "DivX 4.12 Codec" directly below "DivX Codec 4.12", and then the one that was just installed is the one that gets removed upon uninstalation. I even tried deleting every entry of DivX and XviD in my registry to no avail. There also was an entry of DivX 5.02 that wouldnt delete after complete codec removal, but installing and uninstalling DivX 5.02 fixed that.

I wish there was a utility that would just AHNIALATE every single codec on the computer and remove every trace of it ever existing, and then just re-installs the basic Windows codecs, leaving the rest up to you... (hint hint programmers)

But since nothing like that exists (that I know) does anyone know how to remove the entry for DivX 4.12, and does anyone know how to get my videos that used to work to play in something other than Media Player Classic? My videos used to work fine, even WITH the entry of DivX 4.12, the last my codecs worked was with the installation of this "Vodei" codec, which used to work aswell, but uninstalling it is what seemed to cause all my problems.

My Codec list in GSpot looks like this...
    http://www.bonedaddy.net/OmEgA-X1/codeclist.txt

Take note I just installed FDDShow and 3ivX to get my movies to atleast play in Media Player Classic... also I accidentaly deleted the files for ACM filters and Indeo, but thats not too hard to fix, not worried about that right now...

And another useful thing, does anyone have a registry file that will restore my codec settings in the registry to be the same as if it where a fresh windows installation? I believe this would help aswell...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  3. bonka43

bonka43 Member

I don't have a clue anymore to what I am doing. I have DL DVD from an online source. They have an .avi (usually) ext. I used DvixtoDVD and after about four hours it is done. I then used DVD Shrink and burned with Nero. They, sometimes, will play on the computer but not on my DVD player.
    I went to Gspot and ran a file through it. I have no idea what I am doing there. I went through the post on this site and it had just as well be Greek. When I run the files through Gspot a place on the right of the window says Codec not installed. I click for furthr info and I havn't a clue what it is telling me.
    I am begining to wonder if it is all worth it.
    It should be understood that I am 62yo and I am dumb when it comes to this.
    Thank you.
    Jerry

4. Cardenio

Cardenio Member

Hi, everybody, i have this real problem with Adobe Audition 1.5: somehow it just seems not to support .m2a files anymore. Some time ago, someone helped me out by saying that i could solve this situation by choosing "Audio from Video" in the "Multitrack View" option. Indeed, it worked. Now that i bought a new PC and reinstalled Adobe Audition 1.5, it keeps saying "The selected file is not a supported video file format or the video codec required to open this file was not found". I'm thinking it could be this "video codec" thing. I remember i had some video codecs. What do you think ? Is some video codec i'm missing ? I'm simply trying to do a thing that i could perfectly do a few days ago. Can anyone help me ?

Thanks everybody,

J. Silva

5. kaye10

kaye10 Member

Hello...i have a Sony Vaio
    fs 640 Laptop..i downloaded a movie off the net..when i try to burn, i
    use super dvd creator 8.5..i have burnt movies here b4...sometimes when
    i try and burn a file, it wont work..when i press burn, the file starts
    playing immediately...sometimes it burns...what format must a video
    file be b4 it burns?

Also, i noticed that i get these errors when i try to use WinAvi to
    convert files..i get Sony DV software codec is missing (video file) and
    audio, i get WMA Pro over s/pdif DMO for audio...what do u suggest so
    my burning works with ease?

6. busted21

busted21 Member

Okay, so about two days ago my computer decideds it no longer wants to play streaming videos. Insted my media player would not buffer/download the video I right clicked to view the error details and it simply said I didnt have the right codec to play the video. I was amazed since before that day the videos from the same site or ANY site for that matter would no longer play. I had already had the correct codecs installed since I installed codecs which I needed. In a panic I downloaded some codec packs and what not and now my system seems to be screwed with videos. Not only can I no longer watch streaming videos I can no longer watch other videos which I have downloaded. My avi videos to work however BUT there is no sound although Gspot informs me I have the correct codec. My windows media player attempts to download codecs but do now work and send me to the microsoft site saying I need some video 1 codec. As for other files mpeg/wmv etc they just wont play. I am getting more frusterated by the minute... I attempted to follow every step at the beginning of this thread yet I am still having problems :|

7. bheuring

bheuring Member

has any one evr heard of a video file called img i have tryed many deffrent things but can not get it to play

8. Gnitrops

Gnitrops Member

i,

I have been getting a problem: Whenever I try to play a AVI/MPG, be either in WMP/VLC/MPC, the audio goes fine, but the video lags alot, almost freezing. It happens with all files, I don't know why. My PC is a P4 3.4 with 1Gb RAM, so it shouldnt be a problem. This started happening after I run CCleaner/reinstalled WMP10/reinstalled K-Lite (I made all the 3 at the same time, dont know which one triggered this, but before these, I didn't have any problems). I tried uninstalling the codec pack and reinstalling it, or installing FFDshow/AC3/DivX manually, and it still didn't work. Weird thing is, now if I use the DivX Player, the video runs ALOT better, I can see almost 5 minutes until I start to see a slight freezing (with other players, it almost completely freezes right from the start).

Anyone can help me with this annoying problem? This couldn't happen today right after I get to watch LOST. ARRR!

9. cocacutie

cocacutie Member

Hello,

I own a Mac. OS 10.3.9. How can I find out which codec I need in order to play an avi file? I downloaded a couple and the video I am tryint to watch still isn't playing.

Thanks,

S

10. rilumausa

rilumausa Member

At first I want to say hello to all of you who take care of the problems of non-geeks like me. I totally respect and admire your dedication and investment of free time to help us out.
    Having said that, it might be possible that I post my problem in the wrong part of this forum, for which I would like to apologize up-front if I indeed did.
    I've got a video of which I can't figure out the audio codecs. I usually have all necessary codecs' installed (K-Lite Codec Pack, lame-3.96.1, TFM Audio Filter - Movie Soundtrack Compressor/Channels Effect FREEWARE ver. 1.0 beta 8 and Divx 5.0). When looking up the codecs with GSpot there aren't any displayed, though I can play the movie -without sound. Opening the movie in my Media Classic Player I get following message:

Media Player could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs of filter installed on your system

Stream 0

Media Type 0:
    --------------------------
    AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    subtype: Unknown GUID Name {00000075-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    formattype: FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 1
    bTemporalCompression: 0
    lSampleSize: 128
    cbFormat: 34

WAVEFORMATEX:
    wFormatTag: 0x0075
    nChannels: 1
    nSamplesPerSec: 16000
    nAvgBytesPerSec: 2000
    nBlockAlign: 128
    wBitsPerSample: 16
    cbSize: 16 (extra bytes)

And when pushing the button that says 'search for codecs on the internet, I get following screen message:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql.sourceforge.net' (111) in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 14

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 19

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 25

Warning: mysql_query(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 34

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 34

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 35

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 37
    Sorry, we couldn't find any codec with that guid in our database, the good news is that we will investigate your submission and probably add it later.

Could anyone tell me what codecs I need and maybe where I can get a hand on it?
    Something about my system, in case that would be of interest to help me:

XP Pro SP2
    1.024 GB Ram
    2.53 GHz Celron
    Media Players installed:
    Windows Media Player 10
    Real Player 6.0.12.1235
    Jet Audio 6, 2, 6, 8330
    Quick Time Player 6.5.2
    Media Player Classic 6, 4, 8, 4
    WinAmp 5.0.0.8

So, that seems to be all what I could tell you for now. Any idea??
    Thanks in advance for any effort of yours
    Cheers
    Mario

11. mrbeany

mrbeany Member

hey, i downloaded DivX from the Main Web. And now, everything in my computer can't be open (music files, video files, windows files). Can someone help me please?

I'm so deadd

12. pea64

pea64 Member

I would like to know how I can watch avi files on my MacBook Pro OSX I can watch .mov, mpeg, mpg files but never avi. Sadly most movies are in AVI! I understand that I need a codec(s) but when I download them my machine can't apply them? Is this because they are incompatable or am I just missing something? I am a newbie Mac user and a movie junkie, please help!

13. rilumausa

rilumausa Member

14. big_poppa

big_poppa Member

To pea64, are you downloading PC codecs and trying to run them on a Mac? Cuse that won't work. Best thing to do with AVIs on a Mac is to convert them to another format. If I remember correctly, whoever is behind the AVI technology wants an arm and a leg for it (license) and Apple refuses to pay.

15. jkl080

jkl080 Member

Along with VLC, GOM Player also has codecs built-in, so u don't have to bother with getting the right codecs and what not.. I think it looks much nicer than VLC. Anyways, u can download it at www.gomplayer.com

16. netrate

netrate Member

I am having a huge codec problem right now. Here is the error I get when trying to run an AVI with MPEG4-Fast encoding :

Error ID = 0x80040241, Condition ID = 0x00000000

This file has always worked before, now all of a sudden, it is not working. Any ideas?

17. XweAponX

XweAponX Member

I get that exact same error: Are you gettig that error by using KMplayer?

If you look at the URL that is called up by thast button, if you go to the root of the location, it says that the site in "under construction"

So, is the codec site too new to be being used? Or do we have our Browsers set up wrong to read XML?

18. Flump1328

Flump1328 Guest

Hi everyone, I apologise if this post is in slightly the wrong place but looked through threads & can't find similar problem.
    I am fairly new to all this & have been testing out different Ipod converters. I tested WinAvi converter but not impressed so went to remove it in Add/Remove programs.

However, I deleted the wrong thing by mistake. The program I removed was called AVIsynth or something and now I can't play AVI files in media player 10(I had no problems before)

An error message first came up saying I had a corrupt/incomplete plug-in and that I should remove all plugins. Now whenever I try to open AVI in media player an error report gets sent. then WMP freezes.

I tried installing Windows Media Player 10 again but this did nothing.
    I ran GSpot which says I have the codecs, and I have no prob playing AVI files in VLC.

(I have an AviSynth 2.5 folder left on pc with plugins folder containing AVSI file "colors_rgb.avsi")

Please Help!! Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
  19. vchavez

vchavez Guest

Anyone having problems to run videos in Windows Vista Ultimatte ?

I have almost all the codecs and I can't still hear the audio watch videos yes in Divx Player but WMP is having trouble to open files

20. smumdax

smumdax Member

To Flump1328: Maybe I'm seeing this to easy but... why don't you just simply install back AVIsynth? But BTW, the reason why VLC is playing it fine is most probably because VLC comes with all codecs in itself.