1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having problems burning DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bharvey04, Apr 21, 2005.

1. bharvey04

bharvey04 Member

I have had this problem before, but solved it by redownloading both DVD Shrink and Nero. So last night I noticed the problem again, this time, it was not fixed by redownloading. I burned one dvd with DVD shrink and Nero, then I tried to burn another copy and it said it burned successfully but aparently did not. I tried a different movie also and still no luck. It goes through the burning proccess but then does not work in any player. If i try to play it in Windows Media Player, it looks like its got all the titles and chapters, but it wont play. I am using TDK DVD+R. Any help would be great!!!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try some different media. I recommend Taiyo Yuden -R. You may want to change the bitsetting on the +R media to DVD-ROM, this will make it more compatable. All DVD players should play DVD-ROM DVDs. I would first change the media though. I'm not fond of TDK for DVD backups.

I get my media from http://www.supermediastore.com or http://www.meritline.com

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have read countless threads of members having trouble with these in the last couple of days. These + format TDK'S in both 4x and 8x are made by different manufacturers. C-Mags makes most of these for both those speeds. C-mags suck!

Fasfrank gave you a couple of links for some great quality media at great prices and are reputable. If you buy your media locally,Maxell's are on sale at staples and Office depot for under $18 a spindle of 50.Maxell doen't use C-Magnetics corp for any of its discs. Or look on the labels for Made In Japan.

Stick with the good stuff like taiyo yuden/verbatim data life plus/ritek/maxell/and fuji. All have very good manufacturers and it will save you on many issues.

4. Ray40

Ray40 Member

I need help folks. I have been backing up my movie for some time now with no problems. But lately I back up my field of Dreams, Meet the fockers and others. Now when I play my back up movie I get jumps in the movie, streaks skips etc. The pixcels are off. I dont understand. My other backed up movies work fine. Any ideas

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It sounds like media quality.Did you change anything about your media like different brand name/different spindle/or even different spindle size?

Those backups that play ok,are they the same brand name/speed rate/and format as the ones that don't?

What is the brand name/format/and speed rate of your blank media?

Is there any particular spot on those backups where the pixellation takes place: Beginning/middle/or end of the movie?

Download the free version of dvdinfopro. It has a couple of scans you can run your backups through to find errors. Get it here:
    http://dvdinfopro.com

6. Ray40

Ray40 Member

no that is the strange thing about it. It is the same type of media. I just played the dvd back up on my computer and it plays fine. Now I am wondering if it could be the player. The funny thing is that the other older back up movies play fine in the player its just these latest ones i have done. But they all play fine on my PC

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It still sounds like a media issue.

Your pc drive can play it's own backups-using the same drive that burned it. Certain stand alones will be pickier. Too much compression and burn speed too fast are just a couple of things. The poor quality media backups will be magnefied by these pesky stand alones.The quality can vary considerably throughout the same spindle.It comes down to quality control at the many different manufacturers all making media for the same brand names.

What brand name/speed rate/and format are they?

Can you locate the exact manufacturers ID number on them?

You can locate that code by using any of these programs: Nero- infotool/dvd decrypter/dvdidentifier/dvdinfopro

Dvdinfopro is a very handy program and it has a free version. This program will tell you that media code and also has a couple of scanning tests to check for errors on those backups. You can get it here: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

I'd like to know that code,it should reveal the likely culprit to your issue. Later

8. Ray40

Ray40 Member

I could have changed the burn speed I will need to look at that. The DVD's I am using are memorex dvd+R 8x 4.7g

9. Ray40

Ray40 Member

I saw that my write speed on DVD Dycrpter was at max speed. What should I put it on. You guys are good. Your good you. I think this may solve the issue

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Memorex +8x media pretty well explains your issue. Look at their numerous manufactures:
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (CMC MAG E01)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (PHILIPSC08)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (PRODISCR03)

The prodiscs are the better out of the 3.

Use dvd decrypter to find which ones you have.

Edit: I forgot your other question.
    Even though my benq's will burn this newer 8x media at 12x and 16x, I still keep my burn speed set at 4x,unless I set my pc up to auto shutoff,then I use 2.4x. Slower speeds usually eliminates the chances for errors.4x is about par for most members,but the higher quality media will allow for the faster burns.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  11. bharvey04

bharvey04 Member

Thanks for the help, i dont think it is the media because my friends computer will burn on them just fine, I tried using one of his Memorex discs, and it still didnt work. Any other suggestions? I also used to be able to play the movie after the backup is on my computer. I mean without the disc. I can not even do that anymore. Thanks for the help!!!

12. Ray40

Ray40 Member

Can anyone tell me which media is the best. I have a burner that burns DVD +R

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Burning + only format: My favorite:

Verbatim data life plus +8x- Mitsubishi metal azo dye,coded MCC-003

Sony +1x-8x (Not the +1x-4x or 4x!) The +1x-8x in the 50 pack spindles:Some are made by taiyo yuden coded Yuden000-T02.The taiwanese are very good also.

Maxell +8x-Made in japan
    Maxell +4x-made in taiwan

Fuji +8x,same as sony-look for the ones made in Japan.

Almost 100% success rate on all these plus brands with my benq's.

Taiyo yuden- I haven't tried their official plus format,but is should be great.