1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having problems burning with dell laptop

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by imtiaz_3, Apr 12, 2005.

1. imtiaz_3

imtiaz_3 Member

hi everyone. I've been having problems burning ps2 games with my laptop. It's a dell inspiron 9100. The dvd burner is a sony dvd+rw dw r56a. I won't go into the specs cuz i know they are more than capable. i've tried burning games with nero and alcohol 120%. I first tried tekken 5 way back and need for speed underground 2. When i burned them, they would take long to burn, up to 30 minutes, when i know it should go quicker cuz my dads computer does it in 15 minutes, and this laptop is more powerful. Even my cpu usage was pretty high, around 50%, compared to my dads computer which was much lower. When i tried playing the backups, my ps2 would start making loud noises. Like the lense inside is going crazy or something, almost sounds like it'll break any minute. Sometimes the game works, but the ps2 is working hard to play it and making noise, other times, it just goes to a black screen and that's that. I noticed with nero, that my buffer reader was very unstable, going from 98% to 30% back and forth literally every second. That's not supposed to happen. So next i found something on the dell forums

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_cdrom&message.id=40781

told me to uninstall my ide channel for my dvd burner and it should work, someone else had success with this. I did it and my buffer reader was normal, and my cpu wasn't working as hard, and the burn time was back to normal, but the ps2 still handled the game the same way, loud noises. Any advise will be helpful. Thanks.

2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Are you using quality dvd media?
    Are you burning at 2x or slower?
    Use DVD Decrypter to read and burn your backups.
    Also Some newer DVD games have to be rebuilt.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  3. imtiaz_3

imtiaz_3 Member

i'm using some no name dvd's
    i tried buring at 2x
    i don't have dvd decrypter
    and these images don't need to be rebuilt

cuz i took the same images, transfered them to my dads computer, and burned them there using alchohol 120%, and they worked 100% fine. it's not the images, dvd's or the software, it's my burner. But i will try decrypter, thanks for the suggestion.

4. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

different burners work with media differently.

Most likely your laptop burner doesnt work well with that media.

Good luck

5. imtiaz_3

imtiaz_3 Member

hm.... dvd decrypter didn't work either.

if you guys think different discs is good, what's a good brand to go after, for a reasonable price. thanks.

6. imtiaz_3

imtiaz_3 Member

i really dunno what to do now, i found a memorex +R lying around. i gave it a shot, dvd decrypter and all, 2.4x speed, still the same thing.

7. imtiaz_3

imtiaz_3 Member

wait, nm, it does work, first time it made the noise, but i waited a bit the second time, and it appeared, but the screens all shaky. i think i got a PAL one by mistake, silly me.... thanks for the help.