1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having problems burning.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by GroveBoy, Mar 30, 2005.

1. GroveBoy

GroveBoy Member

It seems like hit or miss. For example, I was trying to burn Taking Lives. I tried several different programs. DVD Decryptor,CloneDVD2, Nero 6. I reauthored it with DVD Shrink and burned with Decryptor.

They all play on my computer, but I put them in my Settop DVD player. I just get a Disc Error. The playback feature may not be available on this disc.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What is the make and model of your stand alone DVD player?
    What is the brand/type of DVDR media you are using?

3. GroveBoy

GroveBoy Member

Settop is Emerson 7004 something or other. I just bought it. Media is Taio Yuden (sp?) 8x (TY02). -R's.

I backed up Meet the Fockers and it played fine on the settop.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  4. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I would recommend trying +R media. Go to manufactor website of your burner and go with what media they have tested. Tiyo Yuden should work fine generally very good media. Your right it is hit and miss trying to find the right media that burns well with your burner and plays on settop boxes. It is also possible that your laser is getting week. I've experiance this with my Xbox. With the right documentation (Schamatic). You can turn the voltage up on laser. You never mentioned the speed in which your burning generally lowering the speed causes less errors on disk. You may also want to run burned disks threw nero cd quality test or dvdinfopro, take a look at errors.

Good Luck

Spacedust

5. GroveBoy

GroveBoy Member

Great, Ill look into that.

Well my burner is a Sony DW-D22a and is brand new.
    I use the same media to burn PS2 backups and I havent had a coaster with them yet.
    I was thinking maybe the files I get are PAL? It doest really say on the .nfo so...

6. seandesad

seandesad Guest

wonder if they should use a slower burn speed??

7. GroveBoy

GroveBoy Member

Well, no matter what program I use, I cannot get it to burn under 4x. I'm thinking this is cause the media is 8x?? I dunno.

But I did get a DVD-R to work at 4x.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What type of files are these you are burning? It doesn't sound like you are backing up an original DVD? If you are downloading the files they need to be converted into DVD compliant files first.

9. GroveBoy

GroveBoy Member

I'm pretty sure they are...after unpacking and repairing they usually end up as .IMG or .ISO's.

I had 2 perfect burns last night...so maybe the ones I had trouble with were either corrupt or PAL.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There can be anything inside an .ISO or .IMG file all they are is image files it's sort of like everything packaged up into one file to make it easier to download. My guess is a lot of those files you are going to be downloading are going to be AVI and not DVD compliant files. You can use something like ISObuster to see what type of file you actually have in the .ISO or .IMG

11. GroveBoy

GroveBoy Member

Well they come from the DVD newsgroups, so I was assuming they would contain the correct files..

Oh wait..I did un-RAR the Taking Lives .iso, and I did get .Vob files and the like...