1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having problems ftping - just recently hooked up DSL?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by tman1599, Dec 23, 2004.

1. tman1599

tman1599 Member

I have had no problems ftping until I recently hooked up DSL. Because I only have one network card I had to unhook the crossover cable and put in the DSL network cable. I thought I would be able to just uplug the DSL cable and put the crossover cable back in an FTP, but when I do that and try and connect it tells me that the host is unreachable. Did something get changed when the DSL software was loaded? Can anyone give me some ideas on what to do so that I can use both my DSL and FTP software? thanks

2. Osiris77

Osiris77 Member

It is no problem to use both the DSL and the FTP to your xbox, you just need to change your network settings each time you swap cables. Check what your IP address is when you are hooked up the your DSL, if it is a static IP then right down all of your info, if it is dynamic then it is easy to do. Change your IP address to the same subnet and series as your xbox is set to, for example

192.168.0.1 PC IP
    255.255.255.0 PC Subnet

192.168.0.2 Xbox IP
    255.255.255.0 Xbox Subnet
    192.168.0.1 Xbox Gateway

Off of the top of my head that is all i can think of that you will need to check on.

Check out this tutorial on networking an xbox, it is very handy.

http://www.chefelf.com/xbox/networking.php

3. tman1599

tman1599 Member

thanks for the info. Where exactly do I go to find out the IP address when I am using the DSL?

thanks

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

To avoid the trouble, I would suggest installing a second NIC so that your DSL will be on and you can still FTP.