1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having some issues w/ my copy of Troy...Help, Please

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sakmd, Jan 6, 2005.

1. sakmd

sakmd Member

Hello All!

I'm new here...stumbled across this site a few weeks ago, and boy, am I glad I did! It's been a great deal of help! THe only action my DVD burner had seen up until then was backing up data. Since I have discovered this place, I am happy to say that I have been successful w/ many movies. So to all of you....I thank you and my burner thanks you! :)

I'd also like to point out that I tried doing a search, before posting, for issues similar to the ones I'm having but couldn't find anything.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I used Shrink and burn w/ Nero for the process, I thought I'd try here. I recently burned a copy of Troy using Shrink. Up until now, I've been using Sony DVD-Rs and haven't had any problems. I recently pruchased some Verbatim DVD+R DL discs to try out. I used one of these for my Troy project. I changed the preference in my settings to DVD-9, so as to copy w/out compressing. I then labeled my DVD w/ the labels I have now come to understand aren't ideal. But haven't had any problems w/ labeled DVDs until now... At any rate...When I first watched the movie, I got about 3/4 of the way through and then it started to freeze. I could not longer watch the DVD. In addtion to the freezing, there are two problems w/ this DVD on three stand alone players I have used:

1) There's no audio in the short lead in of the DVD menu (before the options are listed) and then when the menu does appear, there continues to be no audio.

2) I am having problems w/ the scene selection menu. I can access the menu on the stand alone players, however, the selection cursor does not appear. So I can't see which scene is being selected. Strangely enough, if I used the arrow keys on the remote and press enter it will jump to the scene that I have supposedly picked, but I can't see which one I've selected. Hope I'm making sense.

Initally, I thought maybe the label was interferring w/ all of this. So I burned another copy (this time using DVD-ROM in Nero from the files created in Shrink) on a DL disc and this time did not put a label on it. I know, I know... an expensive way to experiment, and I'm kinda kicking myself now (esp since issues still exist!) While the freezing seems to have been resolved...the issues stated above still exist on the non-labeled disc: There's no music in the background of the menu and I can't see what's going on in the scene selection menu.

Now, when I play either disc, labeled or not, on my PC...these problems do not exist...the DVD menu music is there and the scene selection functions work properly.

I've used three different stand alone players to no avail...these issues still exist.

Is there something in particular I've done wrong? Is it b/c it's +R media that the stand alone players are having issues? One of the players I tried it on is a newer Sony model which states that it will play DVD recordable media. So I'm not sure if it's player related or not.

I would certainly apprecite it if anyone could provide any insight on what's going on and any possible solutions to resolve these issues.

Oh, BTW, I'm using a Pioneer DVR-108 that came installed w/ my computer.

Thanks very much in advance!

2. greg3000

greg3000 Member

I've always used DVD-R because I've had better luck with them. I know most players are supposed to support DVD+R but I have had problems with +R in the past.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

With your second attempt it doesn't appear that you've done anything wrong from what I can see although it's strange that the problem persists in three different players.

Since we know the copies are good because they play in your PC my best guess would be that it's a compatibility issue with the players and the DL media. I've run into a couple players that would do strange things with otherwise good copies.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  4. sakmd

sakmd Member

i had forgotten all about this thread!

well, since this thread resurfaced, i'll give an update....

not sure what the problem was really. i didn't want to waste anotehr dl disc, so i tried another copy with a sony dvd-r. as i mentioned, i did the inital two burns using only shrink. the third time around, i used decrpter to rip the files, used shrink to compress, and back to decrypter for the burn. worked like a charm. none of the issues i had previously existed this time around.

nephilim, as you suggested, perhaps it is a dl disc/player compatibility issue. not sure if using decrypter first would have made a difference w/ the dl discs, but i didn't want to risk ending up with another coaster to find out. so for now, i'll just go with the problem being a compatibility issue....which sounds more plausible anyway. and though it's not on dl disc, the quality of the copy i have now, using shrink to compress, came out quite nicely.

i've since been using my remaining dl discs to back up large files on my computer rather than trying them for movie backups. they've served this purpose very well.

greg3000, i primarily use -r discs as well. as you mentioned, i have had better luck with them as well. i've been using sony dvd-r's which have performed quite well for me. i just made the transition to ty inkjet white printable dvd-r since i just got an epson r200. couldn't be happier with them!

thanks guys, for providing your input!

sakmd

5. greg3000

greg3000 Member

I just got finished ripping and burning Troy for the first time. In my opinion, I think there is a problem with DVD Shrink recognizing and compressing DVD's with greater than 2 hrs. of video. As you all know Troy has almost 3 hrs. of video. I tried several different configurations in DVD Shrink as well as disabling all uneeded software and my computer would still lock-up after almost half the DVD. So I decided to use DVD Decrypter to rip the files to my HDD and then used DVD Shrink. I got it to burn to a DVD+RW and it plays fine in all my DVD players as well as on the PC. I have also made a copy of it on DVD-R, which also plays fine in all my DVD players. Like I said above, I think DVD Shrink has a problem with compressing DVD's with greater than 2 hrs. of video.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There's only a finite amount that a film can be compressed ;)

7. greg3000

greg3000 Member

I agree Nephilim...You can only compress something so much. =)

8. nightborn

nightborn Member

I just watched my backup of Troy, done with DVDShrink, and Nero. No problems here, it worked fine, so its not an issue of movie length.