1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having trouble backing up mystic river

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by baterup22, Apr 11, 2005.

1. baterup22

baterup22 Member

I have had the hardest time trying back up the movie mystic river. I bought the movie and want to make a backup copy. I am using 1,2,3 copy dvd. I am copying to my hard drive first and buring from my hard drive to a bland dvd. I am using an external i/o magic dvd + or - RW/+or- R 8x dvd burner. I have tried memorex and imation dvds both the + or -. I also downloaded the the 3rd party link for dvd decrypter. When burning the dvd from the hard drive to a blank dvd it always freezes up or an error appears when it gets about 68.7% complete. What is the problem? Do I need to download different software? Please help, all responses are welcome.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Get some DVD RW discs to test with first.
    The "blank" media is usually the cause of burns that fail towards the end of a burn. Some other things to look out for are multitasking and in your case, a poor connection to your external drive. Is this a USB 2.0 port you are connected to?

Try a different movie, one that you have burned before. One thing to keep in mind is that in general a DVD RW has a slower burn speed and if you are having problems with your USB connection then it may work OK with the RW at the slower speed especially if you are burning at 8X with the regular -R/+R discs.

I have used both types of DVDs you mentioned and have had problems with 8X burns. Now I'm using Ritek or Taiyo Yuden 8X media... At 4X the Memorex burned OK for me.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Use DVD Shrink in reauthor mode and choose just the main movie and create an image directly from the disc to your hard drive then burn to DVD. Works everytime!

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Well the first program to download is DVDdycrpter, the latest version takes care of the latest decryptions.
    The next program is DVDshrink both these programs are free... see the software link at the top of the page.

next go to this site for some excellent guides on how to use these programs http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html

And you'll be burning in no-time welcome to AD

gringle

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi baterup22, welcome to aD,

I did Mystic River (HBO) without any problem.

For starters, Memorex and Imitation are at the lower end of the media chain. I suggest using either a higher quality OR consider a program where you can adjust your disc size (both discs you've mentioned have uneven or no dye toward the edge so we have to stay away from the edge.

DVD Shrink can do that. Adjust the Target size to 4200MB AND reduce your burning speed to 2.4 X.. When you are at the File I/O tab during the DVD Shrink setup, Un-tick the top box.

No, it's not hard at all. Just remember that last sentance and it will be a snap. The guide for your little project is under the heading of, "Shrink / Decrypter" the location is in my sig. FasFrank set it up, you'll find it all fun -

I just re-read my post to you and so I shall add . . . Looking at that, it looks like I'd need 4 years of Computerize - Not true ! This whole thing will take less time than it takes to drink a can of Coke. It is simple, everything is spelled out, step by step - Give it a try :)

Let us know how you make out,

Pete