1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having trouble backing up the movie "the Grudge"

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Sirlance, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jkghome

jkghome Guest

I did a full backup of the grudge but I did not have to adjust or move anything. I will say it was a little slow, but all I cared about was getting a clean burn. I used DVDdecrypter and Shrink. It was an ordeal trying different processes and stuff. My DVD X-Copy Platinum would not even try to touch this movie or the forgotten either, but i have triumphed over them with the help of this great forum.YEAH YEAH

2. seadale

seadale Regular member

so brobear, are you saying if i did not have anydvd running in the background i would have not succeeded. i still have no evidence anydvd is doing anything. how do i know it is doing its thing. i also have dvd43 & i don't know if its doing anything either. you'll have to excuse me i'm just a newbie.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ seadale
    If ya PM me your email address I can send you a copy of the guide in Power point or Word format ... :)

4. brobear

brobear Guest

seadale
    http://www.slysoft.com Check out the product description on AnyDVD. That will clue you in on how the program operates. On some movies with the unreadable sector encryption, Shrink has a tendency to stop or run exceedingly slow. AnyDVD is very good at processing files with the structure type encryption. AnyDVD is kept up to date better than most programs. So, one doesn't have to wait very long if a new encryption system comes along. Either AnyDVD is already set to break it or it will be updated to do so in short order. If you're waiting to see it do something, you may as well give up. All you get is the info window and the red fox on the taskbar. The program does all its work in the background.

For recording programs that will record on the fly, AnyDVD is just the ticket. DVD Decrypter is an excellent tool and does movies well on its own. But with AnyDVD running, I've found the recording process to go faster and smoother; with the ripping portion with Decrypter and the encoding process with Shrink and other apps.

For a good test of what I'm trying to point out, backup the movie the forgotten. Record the entire disc, extras and all. Try DVD Shrink by itself. Then run AnyDVD in the background and open the DVD in Shrink and do the full backup (do the analysis and use the quality settings). Next rip with DVD Decrypter and use those files in DVD Shrink. Then use AnyDVD running in the background and rip and do the backup with Shrink. You'll see some processes won't work, Shrink alone, and some will work slower. These tests may be time consuming, but it'll give you an idea of what's happening if you're truly interested.

5. bibione90

bibione90 Member

I'm still having problems with backing up the "Grudge".I followed instructions from the thread by bbmayo and after I clicked on "Open Disc" on shrink. It analyze it first, then comes up with an error that says: DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file "D:\" DATA ERROR (cyclic redundancy check). Can anyone help me with this.

6. seadale

seadale Regular member

bibione i too followed bb's guide, its very good. in his instructions i never remembed using the open disc function. mabe your haveing the same problem i did, a dirty or scratched disc. clean it very well & try it again.are you using his 1st guide? believe me it works! good luck.

7. seadale

seadale Regular member

brobear, thanks for the info. might have to breakdown & purchase anydvd when my trial period ends. all that i know is between the 3 programs, it has to be unbeatable, when it comes to reproducing backup dvd's. i notice the quality of my recent burns have far exceeded that of the dvdxcopy platinum. with the platinum i noticed ghosts in dark areas at times. my recent burns almost look as if i have a HD t.v. which i don't as of yet.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

seadale
    Cyclic Redundancy can be caused by several things, i.e. a dirty optical head in the drive, dirty discs, and structural encryptions systems using unreadable sectors (Sony ARccOS). There are other causes. As you pointed out cleaning the discs and polishing with a soft cloth is a good idea. Old cotton Ts are good for the job. Cleaning the optical head is advisable sometimes, especially if there is smoke or dust in the PC environment. Resurfacing tools help with minor scratches. I've saved a bunch of yard sale quality DVDs with my Skip Dr. AnyDVD is the best solution for dealing with encryption systems that cause the cyclic redundancy errors. The info window even tells you when you're dealing with that type encryption. That's why I leave this decryption tool running in the background all the time when I'm doing a backup.

9. Leialoha

Leialoha Member

bbmayo, your website is the best! I found aftrerdawn.com by typing into my google search engine "can't burn grudge"...lo and behold I found your instructions. Now I can back up all my other movies that I thought were uncopyable...Mahalo!

10. brobear

brobear Guest

So far I haven't heard of any uncopyable DVDs. Every time the studios make it difficult to do a backup, the software writers have updated the more popular apps to break the encryption and solve our problems.

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

BroBear- True true -the human mind loves a challenge! Or as someone once saie " Make something Idiot proof then they'll make a better Idiot ! LOL & Thanx 4 your continual wisdom -Peace

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ bibione90

If you followed my instructions in the first guide at my site it dosent tell you to Open the disk anywhere??

13. brobear

brobear Guest

BIGTOXY69
    Thanx. Guess I'll just wonder around and be the village philosopher. LOL

Peace??? maybe tomorrow.

14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Good Because I have dibbs on the village Idiot Job! LOL - Just kidding hopefullY = Peace

15. hctr3

hctr3 Member

Just a note on the movie Grudge....I thought I had trouble burning it. When the movie would first start, the screen was black and the timer would freeze at 0:02. So I waited a little bit and still nothing. Then I pressed the scan ahead button. 2 seconds later the movie started and ran complete with no trouble. Just a thought on something to try when you think the movie has locked up or is not playing.

16. mkennedy3

mkennedy3 Member

the method i used to backup The grudge, resident evil, and the forgotton and probably any future release is

1. use newest version of dvd decrypter and rip movie to hard drive

2. use newest version of dvd shrink and open files

3. goto reauthor mode, drag and drop movie files to your reauthor menu

4. right click on title and redit chapters... stream ahead until you see the first image of the movie

5. once you are done test in dvd shrink preview window to make sure the movie plays correctly.

This is the way I have gotten it to work, it seems a little quicker then using decrypter, then shrink making it an iso, and then going back to decrypter to burn.

Good luck guys, hopefully soon decrypter will just take care of all of this new encryption for us.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Using AnyDVD and Decrypter allows all the movies mentioned to be backed up with entire disc using default settings (no editing required). Nothing more has to be added right now. AnyDVD isn't a freebie, but it sure makes backing up DVDs a lot easier.

18. perplext

perplext Member

I was able to back-up "The Grudge" following bbmayo's steps outlined at his site. Thanks bbmayo! I did notice, however, that AnyDVD interfered with the process. I had it running and got errors. So I disabled it and was able to get a nice copy. Please note that you must fiddle with the starting frame of the movie in DVD Shrink. It is mentioned in the tutorial and it IS a must for this movie because it has lotsa' blank frames at the beggining (copy protection crap). Follow those steps and it can be backed-up. Thanks again bbmayo!!!

19. brobear

brobear Guest

perplext
    [bold]Your post aroused my curiosity. What version of AnyDVD are you using?
    What errors were you getting from using AnyDVD?[/bold]

The program is merely a driver style decrypter that breaks encryption.
    AnyDVD is a tool that removes automatically the CSS copy protection and RPC region codes from your DVDs in the moment you insert the disc in.

So, with AnyDVD you can use all the DVD backup tools, such as DVD2One without having to rip the DVD to your HDD first.

Software also overrides your DVD-ROM drive's region code mechanism, so even if you have RPC-2 locked DVD-ROM drive, you can still watch DVDs from any country in the world with your PC.

If there were to be a failure, it would be along the lines of not properly breaking encryption. In effect, that would be a failure of both AnyDVD and the program if it is like Shrink with a ripper. AnyDVD is supposed to be up to date and I've had no problems backing up movies and that includes a bunch with the Sony ARccOS, unreadable sector encryption.

Glad you got your back up successfully completed, whatever steps you took. Just curious at the failure with AnyDVD. I have both AnyDVD and Decrypter and haven't been suffering any failures as long as I keep the programs up to date. On occasion I've had to wait a day or so when new encryptions came out and they had to update. But in at least one instance, AnyDVD had the encryption broke before it hit the streets. Hope you have continued success.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2005
  20. perplext

perplext Member

my AnyDVD version is 4.5.7.2

I am new at this so bear with me......I made a copy while AnyDVD was running. When I played it, the movie was immediately plagued with pixels and all sorts of playing errors. I also noticed these odd black rings on the written side of the disc. I tried again and this time, turned off AnyDVD since it was not part of bbmayo's steps. The following attempt worked perfectly and is why I figured AnyDVD might have interfered. I am using a TDK Indi 840g burner, Dell Dimension 8200, 1.8ghz P4, 1.5G RDRam. Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to assume that AnyDVD was responsible for the errors I received. Still, I didn't do anything differently each time with the exception of turning AnyDVD off.