1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having troubles....

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by RandomH, Sep 19, 2004.

1. RandomH

RandomH Member

I first noticed my problem when I tried to upload my video from my camera onto the computer (vegas video.) I notice that the computer detects that my camera is connected, but it says something about the preview being unavialible. Vegas says "Preview is univalible," and the options to capture tape or capture video is dimmed out. While outside of vegas and messing around, a message popped up saying something similar. When I am in the vegas program itself, all the video that I have uploaded works and I can put it in the timeline and edit it as usual. But in the upload section of vegas(SFVC), it shows all the previously uploaded footage to be I am at a loss for what to do. I am far from a computer expert so it this whole situation confuses me.

And what I just noticed today, which may or may not be related to the first problem, is that when I went to my documents, which is where all my video goes to, I noticed that none of them will play like they used to. The sound will play but no video.

I am sorry for being vague but I don't know what else to say. Feel free to ask any questions you need to help diagnose the problem.

2. RandomH

RandomH Member

any help?!

3. RandomH

RandomH Member

I know for a fact that the problem has nothing to do with Vegas.

When I go to my computer anc double click in the camcorder icon, I get this error message:

"Creation of the video preview failed.

Please check the device connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another application or user."

Any help?

4. Molder

Molder Regular member

RandomH,
    What operating system are you using?

Have you installed any new software (after Vegas)?

Did the video preview work previously?

M

5. RandomH

RandomH Member

Yes! A Response!

I am using Windows XP, and just recently installed Windows Service Pack 2. I'm not sure if my problems started before or after I installed the Service Pack...

Did my video preview work previously? Yes. Up until a few weeks ago it has been working fine.

And to be honest, I'm not quiet sure what the comp and you mean by "preview." I mean, I know what a preview is. It's to hear or view something before it is complete or released, but I'm not sure what "preview" means in the way you guys are using it.

6. RandomH

RandomH Member

I started thinking the problem was caused by Windows Service Pack 2. I went to uninstall it, and before it uninstalled, it said something along the lines of: "are you sure you want to delete Windows Service Pack 2? The following programs may no longer work: ______, ______, _______, and ZoomBrowser EX."

I knew that ZoomBrowser EX was something that was put onto my computer through the computer disk that was included with my camera. So I got excited thinking that the Service Pack was causing the problem I am having.

But alas, the problem is still here. Everything gives me the same 2 messages. Either about he preview, or another person or application using the device. Its either one or the other, or both.

7. Molder

Molder Regular member

Have you tried reinstalling the camera software, I would try that, is it a digital or analogue camera (how does it connect to the PC, firewire or video capture card) if capture card or device try reinstalling the software for that as well.

Maybe uninstall everything, then install Vegas then the camera/capture device and see what happens, I had a feeling that the preview pane can be turned of at the device level somewhere??

Let me know whats going on!!

M

8. RandomH

RandomH Member

I have indeed tried reinstalling the camera software. It did not work. It is a digital camera.

And I don't plan to uninstall Vegas, because I know that the problem is not with Vegas. Whether I have Vegas open or not, I get errors, meaning it prolly isn't directly related to Vegas.

"I had a feeling that the preview pane can be turned of at the device level somewhere?? "

I was thinking this too. I got on my camera and searched through all the menus and tried some different things, but discovered nothing. Good tip though! Thanks for the continually attempts at helping me =)

And to add some more details to my problem: I can edit my video that is already on Vegas, but I cannot render it to an avi file correctly. It will go the the deisered location, but then when I go to play it, I get only sound, and no video.

And now that I think about it, this Render to AVI problem has absolutely nothing to do with uploading video... so this might put my camera, the transfer cord, and a few things out of suspicion... Gah... this is all too confusing.

9. Molder

Molder Regular member

Dude,
    Humour me and install Ulead Studio Video 8, it is the same as Vegas but I think a lttle easier to use (bit more basic) you can down load a trial version.

I still think the preview pane is swithchable on and off. I know in Video Studio 8 it is.

Also, if you go into control panel and select scanners and camera, right click on your camera and select properties there is some stuff in there as well.

It seems like you don't have the codec to play *.avi.

Can you play them in windows media player??

Let me know how you get on.

M

10. Molder

Molder Regular member

RandomH,
    Mate, I know this isn't really related to your problem, yesterday I was playing around trying to capture my analogue video camera a bit better ( better quality ) I changed the USB port for my belkin capture thing and it would work, said it was not there and try reinstalling it, I did but still nothing, I mucked around for a while and got the dirts, plugged it back into the other USB port and away it went no problems.

Just thought I would share that with you, it might twigg something with you.

M

11. Molder

Molder Regular member

RandomH,
    Mate, I know this isn't really related to your problem, yesterday I was playing around trying to capture my analogue video camera a bit better ( better quality ) I changed the USB port for my belkin capture thing and it [bold]would[/bold] work, said it was not there and try reinstalling it, I did but still nothing, I mucked around for a while and got the dirts, plugged it back into the other USB port and away it went no problems.

Just thought I would share that with you, it might twigg something with you.

M
    It should read it [bold]wouldn't[/bold] work

12. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@Molder !!

You can edit your post when you make a mistake or a typo ! !! Click that button on Top Right of your post -- the Editor will pop on ! No Need to repost same to show a correction.

13. Molder

Molder Regular member

Thanks, I didn't know how else to do it. I can see what your talking about now.

Thanks again.
    M

14. bwfitz

bwfitz Member

I was scanning the internet trying to get some help for just the exact same problem that is mentioned above. I am experiencing the same problem with a sony dv cam using movie maker. I get a "Class not registered error" and also get a "video preview failed error" when doubleclicking on the camera in "My computer. Also getting the same error with another capture device called Pyro A/V Link. All of this worked great before SP2 was installed a few weeks ago. Can anyone offer any advice?

bwfitz