1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Advance Vice city

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by steve136, Sep 16, 2004.

1. steve136

steve136 Guest

Need help!
    I've just bought a HD advance and I think its cool, no more swopping disks faster loading time etc, but I'm having a problem with GTA vice city, the game installs to the hard drive no problem, plays superb (its amazing how much better it is with no slow loading), but it won't save, as soon as you walk into the cassette to save or go to the LOAD screen(by pressing START) it freezes, I've looked at the save on my memory card and the date is weird, it thinks the date is about Nov 1999.
    The game is original, its an unmodified PS2 and all the other games I've tried are fine. Can anyone help?

2. mesh

mesh Member

3. steve136

steve136 Guest

Thanks for the link Mesh but I tried that before and it didn't seem to work for me.
    But I have found a solution myself I used a Action replay max, I started the game with original disk and used a cheat from the Action replay, i then saved the game restarted with hdadvance loaded the saved game and it works. One problem is it does'nt load the last savegame just the first on the list. But you just go into the Load/Save menu on GTA and select the correct game save to load.

4. mesh

mesh Member

Ok cool, glad to hear you figures things out....

5. Corona18

Corona18 Member

Vice City also freezes for me when I enter a save point. I have saved a new game with the actual VC disk then loaded that save with hdloader. That worked at first but it still freezes the third (and sometimes only the 2nd) time I try to save the game. I even tried loading a cheat with AR Max then saving it out, but again with hdloader it freezes. The same goes for hdadvance. I installed the game on my PS2 HDD once with Winhiip and again with hdloader, neither game seems to work any better or worse. Could it be that there is a working mode combination that would fix this? Everybody seems to think that Vice City works with no problems, but that can't be true if some of us are unable to save. I haven't found too much feedback on this subject, any help at all would be praised! Also, can anybody verify that they have saved more than three or four times running VC with hdloader/hdadvance?

6. steve136

steve136 Guest

I've had vice working and saving for a month, I can't remember what cheats I applied to create the save with AR max, but if you want me to email you the .max file for you to use, I'm part way through the game but I've created a save point right at the start of the game and it seems to work OK.

7. Corona18

Corona18 Member

I found a solution. Using the AR Max I started a new game with almost every code available enabled. Then I saved the game in slot 1. It must be slot one or it will not work. Slot one must never be overwritten from this point on. Next, I restarted with hdloader and let the game autoload. I then hit start and began a new game (because this would void the cheat codes and I would be able to play normally). I drove to the hotel and saved under slot 2. I overwrote slot 2 many times just to make sure the game wouldn't freeze up agin. Worked like a charm! Now whenever I want to play I must autoload slot 1 and then load my normal game under slot 2.