1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD advance

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by dukati, Oct 1, 2004.

1. dukati

dukati Guest

I just got the HD advance "great purchase I highly recommend it" I was wondering is there a way for me to play the games that's already saved on my hard drive without having to put in the HD advance CD in the PS2 all the time? and also I got a 120G hard drive but only about 110G is available anyone now why?

2. Silent_X

Silent_X Member

where does the hdd go behind the NIC and does it matter wot type of hdd u get

3. BushidoTW

BushidoTW Member

Silent_X: The PS2 has an expansion port in the back for a 3.5" hard drive (HD), which is connected to slightly adjustable data and power connectors on the backside of the Broadband Adaptor (BBA). Connecting the HD to the BBA, then sliding the whole thing into the back of the PS2, that's it! They do not recommend Western Digital hard drives (I tried one) and the spacing between the power and data connectors doesn't line up with the connectors on the BBA. I have Hitachi, Seagate, and Maxtor drives, all of which fit fine.

Dukati: Unfortunately, modded or not, you have to boot to some disc, either HDAdvance itself, or a PSX disc with a Memory Exploit. I leave my HDAdvance disc in the drive at all times. Also, remember that nowadays, the "marketing" gigabyte is referred to 1,000,000,000 bytes, not the "technical" gigabyte of 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Getting technical on this discrepancy, 1,000,000,000 x 120 = 120,000,000,000 but 1,073,741,824 x 120 = 128,849,018,880. The difference gets big: about 8GB - almost 2 full DVD games. If HDAdvance calculates by the 1024 technical byte count, 120,000,000,000 / 1,073,741,824 (1 technical GB) turns out to be 111GB. Blame the layperson for not understanding the extra 24 bytes that get big in the long run, or you can blame the manufacturer for literally getting away with theft, similar to taking pennies from the tray at a register. In the long run, they stand to make some serious money on this discrepancy.

4. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

using hd advance with 120 gb only read up to 110 GB?
    mine read up to 127 with hdloader.

5. dukati

dukati Guest

thanks guys your replies was real helpful.. one other question dealing with the master/slave hard relationship. when I hooked my hard drive to the network adapter I didn't realize I had to make it the master I just lined them up and connected the two. it works fine but now I'm not sue if is set up correctly. what's the difference? considering the fact that its working perfectly for me can I assume I hooked it up properly or can it work out as a slave drive as well?

6. notmyname

notmyname Regular member

Three settings:
    Master
    Slave
    Cable Select

None of these settings will cause damage. It either works or doesnt. If it works, no worries, otherwise move the jumper.

7. kunis19

kunis19 Member

is anyone running hd advance on a US version 2 ps2? does it work? i bought hd loader and it wont load on my v2 ps2. tried it on a newer one and it works fine. thinking of buying hd advance. wanted to know if anyone has tried hd advance on a v2 and works. another question. any recommendations on where to buy hd advance?