1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Advanced Questions

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by nuttyuu, Jun 6, 2007.

1. nuttyuu

nuttyuu Member

Well i have a few questions about HD Advanced, one of them is do you have to plug the HD into the computer to transfer games or can you just put the game into the system and do it like that. My other question is do you have to do any disc swapping? And is swap magic better then HD advanced if i buy swap magic + flip top ps2? Also can HD advanced play backed-up psx games?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

''do you have to plug the HD into the computer to transfer games or can you just put the game into the system and do it like that''

You can plug the HDD into your ps2 and just use HDAdvance to install the games.

''My other question is do you have to do any disc swapping?''

Disc swapping is only necessery when you want to install backups/imports straight from your console.

''And is swap magic better then HD advanced if i buy swap magic + flip top ps2?''

If you buy Swap Magic 3.8 + flip top (if you have a slim PS2) you can download HDLoader (better then HD Advance) and boot it up. So if you buy HDAdvance you only Get HDAdvance. If you buy swap magic, You get swap magic and HDLoader (better then HD advance).

''Also can HD advanced play backed-up psx games? ''

No. HD Advance and HDLoader won't play PSX games at all. However, they will play imports or backups of PS2 games if you can find a way to install them. (Like the the disc swapping method)

Also, if you have a slim PS2, you might not be able to install an HDD. It dependes on your version. Go to mod-chip.com and click on manuals. Click on PS2 then find your PS2 version (by clicking on the link). If you have a v14 or a v15 you can't install it.

3. nuttyuu

nuttyuu Member

What do you mean by "install backups/imports straight from your console."

Also what is the difference between HD Loader + Swap magic?

4. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

HDLoader has an option that lets you install games on it (The actual application not computer or something) but it won't let you install backups or imports unless your PS2 is hardmodded. So, by swapping your discs when the console asks you to change discs, you can install backups and imports on it. Another way is to install the games over the network if your PS2 and your PC are connected in a router or a crossover cable. Or connect your HDD to your PC and use something like WinHiip to install it.

What's the difference between HD Loader + Swap magic?

Swap Magic is a softmod for PS2 that let's you boot backups and imports straight from a disc (not HDD). However, the latest version of Swap Magic allowes you do launch ELFs (PS2 Applications) from a USB device (in this case my PS2). Since HDLoader has been hacked and made an ELF, you can boot it up with swap magic. So if you buy swap magic, you actually get 2 for the price of 1.

5. nuttyuu

nuttyuu Member

hmm sounds interesting, if i bought a mod chip would i need swap magic or anything? or could i jsut get a mod chip and put games on the HD? But would all the games work if i got a mod chip and stored all the games onto an HD and is that evn possible?

6. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

No. if you would get a modchip you will be able to do much more then swap magic. But installing a modchip is hard.

And not all games would work with HD, about 95% would work. The best thing to do would be to have the latest, patched version of HDLoader.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

If you get a modchip installed (only for fat model PS2's)
    You want a Crystal Chip V2.0 which has downloadable software for runing and internal hard drive.
    or a DMS4 Pro SE which has the software built into the ToxicOS that the chip runs on.
    The modchip will cost a little more at the start to get installed. But it is better in every way then Swap Magic and will do what both Swap Magic and HDloader/HD Advanced will do and do it better.