1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-Burnable CDRs / for optorite dd0203 users

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by crescendo, Aug 12, 2003.

1. crescendo

crescendo Member

How much is a 100-pack taiyo-yuden or sony CD-R? Those brands are way too expensive in Taiwan so they are never on my list. I mean if they're gonna cost you more than twice of the relatively cheap brands CD-R then they're not worth it for HDBurn.

I've been trying to make HDBurn of my newly Optorite Burner working. So I bought one or two disks of each brands for HDBurn tests. Here's the CD-R (print-manufacturer-dye) that can functionly normally.

1. Ritek CD-R/80MIN/700MB 40X - Ritek
    Dye Type 7, Short Strategy(Phthalocyanine)
    2. Maxwell CD-R 80 XL-S 48X - Ritek
    Dye Type 7, Short Strategy(Phthalocyanine)
    3. That's CD-R 700MP Taiyo Yuden - Taiyo Yuden
    Dye Type 1, Long Strategy(Cyanine,Azo)
    4. Mitsubishi Chemical Blue Platinum - Mitsubishi
    Dye Type 1, Long Strategy(Cyanine,Azo)
    5. BenQ CD-R 700MP / Acer
    Dye Type 7
    6. Darbutec II 80Min / CMC
    Dye Type 7

Above are the CD-Rs I have that can be hd-burned. They are all relatively cheap except the 3rd and the 4th. And just for the record, the other CD-Rs (I have about a dozen types) that cannot be hd-burned (power calibration error) are mostly Dye Type 6.

I know it's a little too rush to jump to the conclusion (I don't even know what a dye type is). But it seems that for HD-Burn to work, the "dye type" of CD-R has to be type 1 or 7. As to quality, all of the CD-Rs you can find today are mostly grade A so the brand isn't really that important at all.

Btw, CDRs that fail the hdburn are completely untouched and recordable. You don't have to dump them like I did. Stupid me ^^;

2. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

The CD-Rs that worked for me with HD-Burn are the Verbatim DataLifePlus ones. I'm not sure how to tell the CD-R (print-manufacturer-dye) info from them though.

3. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Well Best Buy has Fuji 100-Pack 48x CD-R Disc Spindle Model: 25301481 on sale for 24.99 with a 15.00 rebate. So 9.99 after rebate for 100 is pretty good here in the States.

Everything I read on Forums is the FujiFilm is Taiyo Yuden and it works with HDBurn.

I read on another Forums you can tell if it's Taiyo Yuden by the case. If it has a screw top it is usually Taiyo Yuden. I am far from the expert but that is what I read.

4. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Well I picked up some FujiFilm CD's after work and checked them out on Alcohol 120% and they are Taiyo Yuden.

I tested out the HDBurn and it worked with no problems.

FujiFilm Products are the way go with this Drive! 4X Burn on DVD-R and HDBurn on CDR!

5. menaceboy

menaceboy Member

picked up a 50-pack of fujifilm 48x cd-r's and immediately came home to try them with hd-burn... it works!!! $15.00 here in honolulu compusa! WOOHOO praise the lord

1.406gb on a 80min cd-r ... its the most amazing thing to come along since toilet paper!!! im serious!!!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  6. ishoni

ishoni Member

hi guys, i've tried to burn 1.8gb on my 900mb media, but it seems that nero 6 does not allow to use hd-burn and overburning together.

has anyone else tried to do such a crazy thing?

7. Erdem

Erdem Member

I wonder that HD-Burn'ed disc's transfer rate. Depending SANYO, It have to be 2xCD speed. For 40xCD read speed (DD0203) it must be read HD-BURNED CD's as 80xCD. But i think is't not as read fast as it.

Is some one mesaure transfer rate for me? (Kbyte/sec) If it's 80x then Transfer rate nearly 12Mb/s...

8. BradLad

BradLad Guest

When using HD-BURN you have to close/finalise the disc or the optorite will not read it.
    I use FWS/Ritek discs.

9. DrHalo

DrHalo Member

I just got the HD-BURN working today with some MITSUBISHI CD-R 700 SONIC AZO disks (model no SR80KC1). These burned and were able to be read without probs. And I have my DD0203 setup as an external firewire dirve.

Does anybody have any idea how to make HD-BURN video CDs? Nero (v6) seems to try an format them as DVD's, looking for VBO's etc. I was hoping to be able to make 1.4gb VCDs. Any help/ideas would be good.

10. parrainx

parrainx Member

I have Compusa 650mb cdrs by Ritek, that didn't work with HDBurn.

Will get Fuji's this week and try them out.

Why do you want a 1.4gb VCD, you won't be able to play it on your standalone DVD player.

11. DrHalo

DrHalo Member

I read somewhere that many DVD's should be able to read HD-Burn disks. DVD players apparently use much more dense track and groove structure. Has anybody ever got a DVD player to read a disk burned with HD-Burn?

12. mux

mux Member

I read somewhere, I wish I could remember where and if I do I'll post it, but most dvd players are supposed to support HD burn discs with some firmware upgrade to the dvd player.

I'll try to find where I read that.

13. parrainx

parrainx Member

Finally bought FujiFilm 48x 50pack at Best Buy for 18$, worked perfectly with HDBurn (Nero 6). Nero showed that CDs are by Taiyo Yuden.

14. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I am using Memorex with no luck. Keep getting "Power Calibration Error". How am I supposed to tell what "type" of dye I am buying? I have heard a lot it but, am relatively new with regards to this.

Can anyone help me? Would really like to try the HD-Burn feature successfully.

15. parrainx

parrainx Member

Get Fuji's man, problem solved.

16. aallman72

aallman72 Member

Not so actually. You have to make sure that the Fuji's in question are indeed Taiyo Yuden. I believe 2 such ways of telling "may" be that the Taiyo Yuden's say "Made in Japan" on the disc and have a screwtop spindle. While others say "Made in Taiwan" and do not have a screw type top.

PS- The Fujis I bought from Compusa last week are the ProDisc and they dont work. Also I found some older Taiyo Yuden - Fuji's, more than a year old, and they wouldn't work either. Power Calibration error

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  17. parrainx

parrainx Member

Fuji's i bought didn't have a screw top, but were made in Japan at least that was the label said, and it was in the BestBuy.