1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd crash...again?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jay05, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

One of my newest hard drive kind of crashed. I was able to format it and re use. My only question is, will it crash again??? are hd that crash, keep crashing??? it's a seagate 400 gb.

2. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

What do you mean by "crashed"?

If you're referring to a total failure, wherein the partition was wiped out...
    1) Make sure that you're plugged into a proper surge protector (obviously right? some people aren't).
    2) Format the drive UNCONDITIONALLY (c:\format c:/u) several times, then run CHKDSK (c:\chkdsk /r).

If it crashes again after that, then use your warranty and get Seagate to replace it.

3. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

i was backing up some files to my seagate 400gb and the computer just restarted. i thought it was nothing, but when i checked the HD 400Gb file space left was 0 and available was also 0. The only thing i could think of was formatting the drive. I formatted it and i recopied my files. it seemed to be working fine until today i backed up more files such as music and video and it crashed again...should i format it like 10 times before i try using it again?

4. ozzman23

ozzman23 Guest

just a sugestion ( i dont know to much about hds) but my friend was having the same problem you are having, he kept re formatting the hd and in a few hours to days it would crash like yours is, how he fixed his problem was he partiotioned the drive into three sections and that took care of it, He told me it was something having to do with what windows would reconize. hope that helps

5. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

AFAIK Windows XP should be able to handle a single 400 GB partition without issue. I could be wrong though...

I know that it's a pain, but I would exchange it for a new one.