1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Display for Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by xfile102, Jul 17, 2009.

1. xfile102

xfile102 Member

First off, let me say that I am totally sorry if this is NOT in the right forum, I read the rules and this seemed like the best spot. Admin, if i am wrong, please move thread.

I REALLY want to cut down on the number of electronics in my room and the space they take up. I currently have a Samsung 2253BW PC monitor (AWESOME), an Xbox 360, and a Panasonic CT-27SC14MJ TV. I would like a SLIGHTLY larger Monitor for Photoshop work, and at the same time, would also like to start gaming on my Xbox 360 in HD. I have looked at quite a few options, and I want to stay withing a decent budget. If at all possible, I would like to consolidate to 1 display. So here is what i found: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280&Tpk=t240hd

I like this, because it has all the inputs I would need: HDMI, DVI, Component AND an HD Tuner and TV. But I have been doing a lot of reading about how there is NO VISIBLE difference between a 720p picture and 1080p picture on anything less than a 50" TV. I have also read that there are only a dozen or so games on the 360 that even play in 1080p. So, I figured I would reach out to the Experts on this site and get some advice. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a difference between 720p and 1080p visually on anything smaller than 50"?

2. Are there enough HD games available to make upgrading worth it?

3. Since my current 22" is already capable of 720p images, should I just look for a 24" PC monitor with an Audio Pass through?

4. Is the Samsung T240HD worht the scratch?

5. Would you recommend an alternative?

what I need is something 24" or larger, capable of receiving imputs from my PC (DVI), Xbox 360 (HDMI) AND be able to output the sound back to my Klipsh Surround system. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

1) If you are under 50", 720p is fine.

2) Most Xbox360 games don't play in 1080. You won't be able to tell a difference if you are using a 1080 monitor or 720 monitor, especially at 24". There are internet "scandals" all the time about "1080" games for Xbox that are actually only displaying in lower resolutions. I would say 1080 is not worth it if you already have a 720 setup.

3) I would say not to worry about audio on the monitor at all. Sounds like you already have a sweet audio setup. You don't need audio pass through/etc.

4) In my humble opinion, the additional 2" and 1080 capabilities is not worth the money since you already have a monitor that does 720. If you are a hardcore PC gamer it might make more of a difference since the PC can use custom resolutions in games.

5) The alternative I'd recommend is to keep using your current 22" monitor, as in my opinion the additional few inches is not worth $300. However, if you are sitting on a heap of money and it's that important to you, go for it. If your heart is really set on parting with that money, I'd recommend you save a couple hundred dollars more and get a television.

Don't worry about your surround system. You can get a sound card with optical output to feed into it, or get a new video card with HDMI output if your receiver can handle HDMI.

You can do the same thing for the Xbox360. Just plug an HDMI cable from the Xbox to your surround system and then out to the TV.

If your surround system doesn't have HDMI, there is an optical sound output port that supports surround sound on the component cable and the VGA cable for the Xbox360.

By the way, if you are not currently using your monitor for the Xbox360, start now. Get a VGA cable for your Xbox360 and hook it up to your monitor. It will fully support HD gaming. You just need external speakers, which it sounds like you have. You don't need any new equipment, you just have to use what you have more efficiently.

I have a similar setup and it works well, by the way.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. xfile102

xfile102 Member

I sincerely appreciate the enthusiastic and knowledgeable responses. I neglected to mention that the only reason I am considering the change is that my 22" Monitor does not have an HDMI connection, so I get no sound. It only has DVI. It is an AMAZING, award winning monitor, but the lack of HDMI is killing me.

So I need a Monitor with the ability to accept an HDMI signal, and then OUTPUT the sound to a Digital receiver or even via a Line Out.

4. xfile102

xfile102 Member

Wow. Thanks Qwert. I never knew there was a VGA Cable for the 360. I will have to look one up now.

5. dntel123

dntel123 Member

Can I just add my xbox 360 setup is exactly the same.

VGA xbox cable with consists of the VGA and also red and white female/male plugs i cant rememeber :)

you'll get 720p.

You can get off ebay an adaptor so that ur extternal speakers can plug in, I got one myself. I thin its called a Female RCA adaptor like this:

I cant remember whether you need female or male, its easy to work out though :)

Oh adn ehres Xbox VGA cable:

If you look you can see the red and white plugs then obv adaptor into that and bam hi def and sound from your surround system :)

Hope I helped with my input!

Liam

6. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

Since you have such a good monitor, I would definitely say keep it and just use the one you have now along with a VGA cable for the Xbox 360. I will warn you, though, that the quality from the VGA cable is not quite the same quality from an HDMI cable. There is a "washed out" look to everything. It's not horrible, but definitely noticeable.

If you are going to spend $300, though, what you need to buy is an audio receiver that supports HDMI input. Connect your speakers to this and you have a nice surround system that will support anything you can throw at it with HDMI. The way this would work is that you would connect your Xbox 360/etc to your audio receiver's HDMI input and then another HDMI cable from the output of the HDMI receiver, which will carry the video part of the signal all the way to the TV or monitor. You will just need an HDMI to DVI adapter to connect the HDMI cable to your monitor.

In my opinion this would be a much wiser route for you to go if you have money for your entertainment setup.