1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVD player problems

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by sp7ke, Mar 22, 2007.

1. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Hello, i just bought a Samsung HD DVD player that supports the high def. formats 720P and 1080i, I also bought the movie fast and the furious tokyo drift, When i put the dvd in the hd dvd player with the HD DVD version side of the disc in, it will not play the disc, the dvd is brand new, my question is, on the back on the dvd case it says formatted in 1080p, Is this why my hd dvd player will not play it?

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Samsung doesn't make standalone HD-DVD players (yet). What you probably have is an upconverting DVD player that's why it says 720p and 1080i (not 1080p). It will not play HD-DVD's. Give us the model number and we'll know for sure.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  3. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Yea its a cheap one im sure thats what it is, thank you

4. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

the player is a Samsung HD860

5. error5

error5 Regular member

eatsushi is correct. The Samsung HD860 is not an HD-DVD player but an upconverting player. It cannot play the HD-DVD side of the Tokyo Drift disc. Maybe you can take the disc back to the store for a refund.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  6. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Well im going to keep the hd dvd, Im looking for a hd dvd player, can anyone recommend one that is a reasonable price?

7. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Ok i found a model on ebay TOSHIBA HD-XA1 HD DVD Player will this player play hd dvd movies?

8. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Toshiba has announced price cuts on their 2nd gen models. The HD-A2 can be had for US$399.

9. bruce110

bruce110 Guest

That is very interesting.I like it very much.

10. shabre

shabre Member

I purchased the Toshiba xa2 from Amazon for $585.00... excellent player with outstanding upconvert for standard dvds.both for pq and audio. Highly recommended player. It also has hdmi out and 5.1 analog output