1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Cupillac, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Cupillac

Cupillac Member

Has anybody done any reading up on how or if these new Discs can be copied?

When do you think these will take over the market like DVD's did to VHS?

2. negatyve

negatyve Member

There's no doubt in my mind that HD-DVD will be able to be copied, however there is no guarentee and certainly there will be a different protection scheme so your dvd copy software will not work. We'll know for sure when these dvds hit the market and hackers get to work on em.

When will they hit the market (as far as I know) is unknown. The industry isn't even sure if it wants to pick hd-dvd up as a standard over blu-ray yet. DVD popularity is rather new, some people still use vhs, so I doubt they're going to rollover to hd-dvd or blu-ray successfully if they try to do so soon, consumers aren't going to want to buy a 200$ player after they had bought one 3 years ago. HDTV isn't even popular enough to make hd-dvd a standard yet.

I'd say you have quite a few years ahead before you start worrying about it though, dvd isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I agree that it'll be a while before we really have to think about this, but I heard that you can convert to DivX and keep the same quality and it's nowhere near as much data, so maybe that's an option.