1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVR Verry Important ??????????????

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by ofield, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ofield

ofield Regular member

Hi,
    My parents recently got a HD DVR. It was a package deal from
    Suddenlink. High Speed Internet Access, combined with a HD DVR.

My question is that while they are watching the HDTV, I see no
    picture difference. They have a Sony 61" HDTV. I know that some
    channels aren't in HDTV.

Also My BIGGEST Question is that on the HDTV channels shouldn't
    there be a way to select the setting or at least view it, so you
    know what form of HDTV you are viewing (720p, etc)

I have no experience in this area and desperately need your help.

Thanks Guys....

2. ali2007

ali2007 Guest

there are ways to know if you are watching hidef or not,because providers upscale a lot and also hidef is not 24/7
    the biggest one is do you see bars on the vertical side of your tv if it is not hd and also a lot flickering, or might see lines and pixalization

3. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

ofield,

I think a lot might depend on the DVR itself, I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD from Cox Cable, the display on the front of the DVR shows when it's running 1080I (HDTV). Also you'd need to make sure they are using at least component cables to the television itself. Component cables sent the picture to the TV in 3 color coded cables Red Green and Blue, then the audio is white and red (Left and Right channels) there are other types of connections like HDMI, or DVI, that are also capable of HDTV. If they are using the old copmosite (yellow for video, and red and white for audio), the picture will be nice, but no HDTV, if they are using coax (black cable wire) no HDTV either UNLESS the TV has it's own digital tuner built in, and a smart card from the cable comany.

My response here is to address what you said about not seeing a difference. I believe it may be the wiring issue that may be causing it, I have several friends that say the same thing you are, and it winds up being they are using one of the lower end connections ..

HDMI Best
    DVI Better (I've not really seen much difference between these first 2)
    Component Very Good (Red Green Blue for Video Red White Audio)
    S-Video Good
    Composite Fair (Yellow Video Red White Audio)
    Coax (Black Cable) Fair to Poor

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007