1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Loader or HD Advance 2.0

Discussion in 'PS2' started by gtaudio, Dec 17, 2004.

1. gtaudio

gtaudio Member

I have a USA-NTSC ps2 that isn't modded and I will be putting in a Maxtor 120gb drive soon and I'd like to know which program would be better to get.

[bold]thanks alot[/bold]

2. ryan33

ryan33 Member

I just bought HD ADvance. It works great but I have a few questions. When do I use the DVD disc instead of the regular disc. AND do I have to use it every time I want to boot a certain game. Just wondering about the difference in the two discs. Thanks, any comments will be appreciated

I have HD ADVANCE and 120 gig from Maxtor, bought new adapter from Wal-Mart. EVerything works great so far no problems, I have downloaded 8 games. But I have not used the DVD disc at this time and need to know If I ever will have to use the disc.

3. bmgdbz

bmgdbz Regular member

the DVD disk is only for installing backups on a ps2 with a swap trick like the slide card witch i've seen packeged with HDAdvance and gtaudio if your ps2 is unmodded i would go with HDAdvance 2.0

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  4. kunis19

kunis19 Member

recommend hd loader. i've had it for a few months. no problems with it. also have a 120 gb maxtor hdd

5. leesh

leesh Member

hd loader is older than hd advance 2.0 plus the latter supports hard drives over 120gb up to around 200gb, which hd loader doesnt.

6. fbgfbg

fbgfbg Member

I've heard v1 playstation 2 may not work with HD Advance or HD loader. can anyone confirm or deny this?

7. bmgdbz

bmgdbz Regular member

i would agree with leesh thats why i would recomend HDAdvance 2.0 over HDLoader for an unmodded ps2 otherwise i would go with HDLoader the new 48-bit LBA patch that supports 137 GB+ HDDs and the other patches like the big game menu, stop disk spinning, save game fix ect.

And fbgfbg i havn't tried HDloader/HDAdvance with a v1 ps2 but if you look here

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=&v_br...rking=Yes&v_version=v1&v_adaptor=&v_postedby=

it looks like it does work

8. Stang04

Stang04 Member

I had a v1 PS2 and HD Advance v1.0 worked on my PS2.

9. yonghindu

yonghindu Guest

wuz good my pips
    i just bought an HDAdVANCE and A WESTERN DIGITAL 40.0GB HARD DRIVE BOUGHT I DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD WORK SO SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE THANKYOU.

10. fbgfbg

fbgfbg Member

Thanks guys... any of you running a 200gb maxtor? I've got my eye on a 6B200R0, but i can't find any info on this drive in mod forums. Has anyone noticed really good (or bad) performance from a specific 200 gb maxtor? There's so many of them, I want to make sure I get a good model; any info (and model number) would be greatly appreciated.

11. leesh

leesh Member

this is a very good hard drive compatibility site. there a some peps wiv 200gb, even 300 gb hard drives.

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

12. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

Gotta get me a 300gb!!! Gonna make the kids mighty happy this X-mas. :)

13. fbgfbg

fbgfbg Member

wow you guys are awesome!! thanks a lot, one final question.....
    I live in canada and i'm sick of paying international shipping. does anyone know of a reputable software dealer based in the great white north?

14. fbgfbg

fbgfbg Member

^ by which i mean one that sells HD advance 2.0

15. leesh

leesh Member

get ur playstion chipped and download or copy a friends copy of hd advance. i obviously wouldnt do this my self. free delivery in da uk u see.

16. orvil01

orvil01 Guest

as far as canadian shop gocybershop.ca My suggestion is just to get a fliptop/swap magic combo and do the mc exploit, its really easy takes 10 minutes with this guide:
    http://www.maxconsole.com/?mode=comments&newsid=2387&start=7

thats just the basics but it works real well. if you want to go further and ftp to your ps2, load roms on hd etc this guide is good (a lot of what is in it doesnt really need to be done, but for the basics its a good start just to get a good understanding.)
    http://lookatthemonkeys.com/html/ps2tut.html#C1

trust me its better to do it this way if not for just the learning expierence, i found it quite fun getting it all together and getting everything to work right. plus why support hdadvance its just a rip of hdloader, with additions that where done by individuals and where made avalible for free, as far as hdloader its not even produced by the creator anymore. just read and its all pretty easy to figure out.

right now i got an 80gb maxtor with the mc exploit using keylauncher to navagate, got exectftps, hdl dump, pgen, hdformat, and hdavance all set up on my mc
    good setup, combine it with swap magic and a flip top and youll never need a chip.

17. orvil01

orvil01 Guest

18. fbgfbg

fbgfbg Member

Quote:
    Please do Not submit games if you use HD Advance 2.0, it has a different compatibility to HD Loader and HD Advance 1.0 and I will not be covering it here.

Is there a list for advance 2.0? i want that one for the 200gb limit, and the only compatibility list i can find is on the official homepage, seems to short to be true

19. fbgfbg

fbgfbg Member

Also, chipping and flip tops seem to be the most popular methods of modding, however i've noticed that every year newer anti-chip technology comes out, meaning you have to chip your ps every year or 2, otherwise new games/perhiperals won't work.... i don't even want to crack it open once. Something as simple as a plug-and-play hard drive seems ideal for my usage.

20. petie71

petie71 Guest

i just got hd advance, and now im tryin to figure out how to download games, and put them on the hard drive.
    Do I have to take out the hard drive everytime???