1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Loader or HDAdvance? Best place to buy?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by KrAzY3, Nov 3, 2007.

1. KrAzY3

KrAzY3 Member

Long story short, I swapped my slim PS2 for a SPCH-50001.

I've never modded a PS2 and the swap tricks and all that stuff always seemed too complicated or risky for me to bother trying them. I looked forward for USB eXtreme but when it came out I saw horrible reviews and decided I would prefer getting a older PS2 and going the internal HD route.

In anticipation of that I picked up a network adapter once I saw them starting to get rarer. So now I have that and a fat PS2. I'm now in the process of trying to educate myself about the two alternatives.

As far as HDLoader goes, this site: http://www.hdloader.org boasts that 3.X can support up to a 500 GB drive, which is enticing but I'm a bit confused as I thought they were not pressing any more of these.

The official HDAdvance site ( http://www.hdadvance.com/ ) indicates that it will only support up to 200 GB. I'm not entirely sure why it wouldn't support as big a drive as the HDLoader...

So, my two main questions are A: What is the best place to buy one of these products? A lot of these sites selling them seem a bit sketchy. B: What hard drive should I then look for? Does either really support a drive bigger than 200 GB and if so any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the advice/information!

2. KrAzY3

KrAzY3 Member

I've looked around a bit, the cheapest I can find either program would be from this site: http://www.ps2cover.com/hdloader.shtml
    Of course, shipping jacks the price up and I see a lot of complaints about the site. That's one reason I'm looking for recommendations, so I can find a trustworthy site not to mention make sure I'm getting the best alternative.

Anyway, any info or advice is very welcome.

3. Yamurru

Yamurru Guest

KrAzY3,

I just received my HDLoader today from http://www.hdloader.org . I got the product about 2 weeks after ordering it. I also scored a 320GB HDD from the same place and so far everything seems good.

The Disc I got is black like a PSone disc. I did email the place after waiting about a week and a half, and he responded extremely quick. So I think the folks at hdloader.org are pretty reliable.

Hope that helped!

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

you could've just done the memory card exploit. a few sites have hdloader that support up to 2TB.

5. Yamurru

Yamurru Guest

cee43ja1,

does the memory card exploit work on an un-modded PS2? If so, I feel like and idiot!

6. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the memory card exploit works on all FAT ps2. i have it on my unmodded v7 39001. your 50001 has an extra benefit; you can easily play burned ps1 games.

you need the network adapter, a ps2 memory card, a original ps1 game and some kind of cheating device (i have and used action replay MAX). exploitstation.com has a detailed guide on how to create the memory card exploit and have all the files you need. sksapps.com has other files you might want for your ps2.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. Yamurru

Yamurru Guest

Thanks cee43ja1!! I should have done some research first instead of just spending cash on the HDloader. Dang!

Looks like I need to pick up a ARMAX now...lol. Thanks again for the good info!

One quick question...using the memory card exploit will enable me to use HDloader without the disc in the PS2 right?

Thanks again!

8. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

yep. if you use the guide from exploitstation, it will launch to LaunchELF. LaunchELF is set to have disc control on. disc control shuts off the laser once LaunchELF is started.

all i do for my ps2 is keep the trigger disc in the tray, so everytime i turn it on, it boots to LaunchELF right away.

ARMAX shouldn't be hard to find. just make sure it's MAX. doesn't matter if it's regular or EVO, has to be MAX.

9. Yamurru

Yamurru Guest

10. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

it'll work. it has usb flash drive support