1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Loader Read Errors: tell my your experiences so far

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by dlocke, Aug 25, 2004.

1. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

I've used hd loader to backup 15 or so games so far. I've only run into read errors on two occasions. The first time I cleaned the disc and it copied fine after that. The second time it was with vice city and cleaning it did not help.

I told HD loader to contine even though it advised against it. I let the game try to copy for an hour. The progress bar never went beyond 48% after the first read error. It must have copied a good bit of the game becuase I could load it and play it for a while. Then it would freeze.

Anyone else run into this problem? Are there any games that you believe give off false read errors as part of their protection scheme? Just wondering.

-Chad

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

A lot of my older CD/DVD-R backups have produced read errors during installation which have been corrected by simply reburning the backup onto a new disc.

3. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not much for making backups but I am considering using PC handiness to copy a PS2 ISO straight to the hd I'm using with my Hd Loader.

I tried copying Vice City again. I quit letting it try to copy after receiving 167 read errors. I was starting to worry about my laser lens getting worn out needlessly. The HD loader says Vice City is 4GB but it still will freeze after playing for a while. Oh well, I'll probably just play my other games until GTA San Andreas comes out.

Anyone else finding games that are picky about being copied to the HD?

4. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

Has anyone used a certain cd cleaning system that really works well?

Like dr. dvd or one of those other ones?

5. RJFreeman

RJFreeman Guest

If you get too many read errors it's going to act up. The only way to get by this is to use a clean and relatively unscratched copy of the game to do the ISO dump.

If you are using backups: Sometimes Chipped sytems produce errors when dumping to the hardrive, a burned back up disc is not nearly as easy for your system's laser to read. You are lucky your sytem can read through all of the imperfections on a burned disc anyway! Backing up orignals to the HDD is always going to produce better and faster results!