1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd partitioning help

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dp84, Jan 21, 2004.

1. dp84

dp84 Member

I know how to partition and all, I just want some help on what sizes I should use. Right now I have one 80 gig and two 160 gigs. I have the 80 in 3 seperate partitions. One for Windows (4.88 gigs), one for apps (10.9 gb), and the third for dl'ing (58.6 gigs). Then I have one 160 gig partitioned into two at 74.5 gigs each. And the other 160 gig as one gigantic partition at 149 gigs. So yah, I wasn't sure if the hd loses efficiency at that big of a partition or not. I would partition the gigantic one into two, but then I'll have 7 partitions. Which might be a little annoying... So any insight or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Personally I wouldn't make a partition that big. Years ago you really ran into some performace issues with large partitions on FAT/FAT32 file systems but thats not as much of an issue these days with NTFS and faster drives. It still will slow it down a little since the drive's file allocation table will be larger and take longer to read through when you want to find or open a file.

Mainly it is other issues I would be more concerned with. It will take a lot longer to defragment when the drive gets fragmented. Some of the disk repair tools might not work properly on a partition of that size. I think I remember reading that scan disk has trouble with large partitions since it is still a 16 bit program and can't address blocks past 65535 on a hard drive.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Whats wrong with 7 partitions? I go down to R: hehe

4. dp84

dp84 Member

Thanks for the feedback!