1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd plasma questions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by scholes84, Apr 11, 2007.

1. scholes84

scholes84 Member

hi guys, i'm going to be buying a plasma tv very soon and dont know too much about it all. Do plasma tvs with built in hd tuning also tune into sd? I've seen a tv with one hdmi input, is this going to be a nuisance??? When one day watching dvds on the plsma tv, whats the best way too hook it all up, is the standard cable okay???
    i'm set on the viera range, anyone here care to tell me how their experience has been with these units???

2. wdclean

wdclean Regular member

Yes the hd tuner will receive HD or SD just if its SD then thats what you got it won't upconvert to 780 or 1080. As far as the HDMI imputs, I would want a set to have at least 2. Last ? the way to hook it up is though the HDMI as its a full digital connection, component is the next best but goes though a switch from digital to analog and back to digital. Standard cable is regular SD 480. What you want is some sort of HD receiver,HDDVD etc to take full advantage of the HD tv.

WD.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes and no. If all you have is a TV with one HDMI then you will find yourself running out of HDTV inputs in the future as everything is implementing HDMI as the best quality connection option (even the xbox 360).

It will be less of a problem if you plan to buy an audio receiver with 2 or more HDMI inputs (3 would be best).

HDMI (lol) using an up-convertion DVD player. If you can't use HDMI use Component Video with progressive scan enabled. If you can't use that then don't use anything at all.

Again HDMI. Standard cable doesn't require HDMI or Component Video but it also is a waste of time since it looks like crap on an HDTV. Depending on where you live HDTV can be available for free over the air or at no additional charge to your current Digital Cable subscription.

Plasma TVs look there best in darker rooms.

All fixed pixel display (FPD) technologies like Plasma tv have a native resolution. All FPDs tvs must upscale or down-scale to this native resolution. The catch is that the video processors that accomplishes those tasks are of varying quality. Most tvs have cheap video processors which is why you want to buy an up-conversion DVD player and attach an HD source like a cable or satellite box. Those systems will all aid the TV in making standard def look closer to high def.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2007