1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd ready or full hd?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by ganni666, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ganni666

ganni666 Regular member

hello i want to know if i should buy an hd ready lcd or a full hd,
    i want to use the lcd for gaming, to connect it to the ps3, i've noticed that most of my ps3 games are 720p support and some are those with 1080p, so is it worth it to buy a full hd for the ps3 games, or should i buy an hd ready
    thanks

2. Rebel11

Rebel11 Member

It's my understanding that HD Ready usually means it has the ability to display up to 720p. And Full HD is 1080 I or P.

If you want my advice I say wait. OLED Tv's are just a few years out and are looking amazing. Along with new 3D technology.

If you are in need of a TV at the current moment though. Go with a FULL 1080P tv. Make SURE you get 1080p and not 1080i. Huge difference especially when gaming.

3. videobruce

videobruce Member

That terminology was used with the older TV's (6-10 years ago) to differentiate between sets with a ATSC (and the few that had a QAM tuner also) and sets that only had an analog tuner. Since all sets now have been required to have at least a ATSC tuner, the term is mostly meaningless with current sets.

BTW, you will have a long wait for OLED (if it even gets here). Go with DLP, Mits still makes them. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  4. ganni666

ganni666 Regular member

so if i go with the full hd, does my ps2 picture quality be good,
    i have an rgb scart connecting to it

5. Rebel11

Rebel11 Member

OLED tv's are already "here". Just a couple years for them to hit shelves and come down to a reasonable price. And DLP are.... meh lol. The couple I've seen have massive lines in them with really blown out picture. (though maybe those were lower end)

And I did some googling and found that my summary was more correct of what HD ready and full HD is: http://www.squidoo.com/Full_HD_Ready_HDTV

If you upgrade to an LCD screen you'll want to get an HDMI cable for your PS3. It should run you around 10 bucks from newegg. *** DO not buy from bestbuy or similar stores. They jack the price wayyy up.

6. ganni666

ganni666 Regular member

thanks for the info, now what about he ps2, cause i also have a ps2 and i want to know if the graphics still be the same or worst, on an lcd tv
    thanks

7. Rebel11

Rebel11 Member

The SD (standard def) signal obviously won't look as good as your PS3.

My experience becomes very shady here. Other members please feel free to correct me. But on some tv's won't convert the SD single properly? or something? Not to sure what thats about.

The two things I purpose you do is:
    1. play ps2 games in your ps3 (why dont you do this already? lol)
    or
    2. Buy a RGB cable for your ps2 (might run you 10 bucks at the most)
    *** I THINK the PS3 may come with an RGB cable, so if you do in fact buy an HDMI cable for your ps3 you may be able to use that with your ps2.

8. ganni666

ganni666 Regular member

my ps2 is connected with an rgb scart cable, that brings godd quality picture and sound, so if i plug this rgb scart, in the lcd tv i will have a good ps2 game picture?

9. Rebel11

Rebel11 Member

as i said this isnt quite my forte. but i believe so.