1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd tv and pc

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by djcuuna, Feb 8, 2007.

1. djcuuna

djcuuna Member

hello i am a proper noob to all this. my tv is a 32 inch lg hd ready my pc has a radeon 1600 card in it i have connected useing the hdmi port on tv dvi port on pc so what i am asking is when i watch a hd trailer on apple trailers i dont have to do anything else it well be in hd on my tv i have not changed any settings ati catalyst centre control or the tv. if there is anything i should do so i can watch in hd please advise on settings like i said proper noob thank you in advance for any help

2. zeiram

zeiram Guest

i have done the same as you but i have an nvidia 6600 card.With me it set it up automatically but you can do a manual set up as long as your software allows it.

3. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

Well, first off I believe that we are all noobs when it comes to this subject. Because I haven't found anyone on any forum that seems to have the answers. I will tell you what I have learned so far...

Having connected your video card's DVI output to your TV's HDMI input is an excellent start. You must also consider the resolution setting for your video card's output, which should match the HDTV as closely as possible. The standard HDTV resolutions are not really standard for PC monitors, or PC video cards, except perhaps for some very recent video cards. I can't offer much more guidance on that topic. But there is more to HD quality than the resolution. There is also the frame rate, the bit rate, and the compression method. All of these factors are interrelated in a video file, and can greatly affect how good the image looks on your HDTV. It is possible to have a file that contain 1080i resolution, but is highly compressed and looks far worse than standard TV. It is also possible to scale down and compress an HD source so that it may be streamed over the internet. I am not familiar with the HD 'apple trailers', but if that is streamed content (as opposed to downloaded content) it is very unlikely that it retains full HD quality. This is because streaming full HD quality video would require far more bandwidth than is available even from broadband ISPs (to their regular customers). Streamed video is always highly compressed and scaled down. If the apple trailers that you mentioned are files that you downloaded, then you may use the tool GSpot to examine the downloaded video file and report its resolution, frame rate, bit rate, and even which codecs were used to create the file. When you have that information, you will be able to determine if the video file is really HD quality. The next step is finding a player that will play the file. Some good ones are: VLC, Zoom, and The Core Media Player.

Good luck, and please report back what you learn.

(P.S. If you are using a Mac, then I cannot help you identify which tools or players to use, but there should be some good ones available. Most of the download sites that I have visited seem to support both the Mac and PC platforms.)