1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD.. what's needed, will this work, questions questions?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by ezkim0x, Jan 16, 2007.

1. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

I have a HDTV .. a regular DVD player, and Regular DVD-r's.

If I burn a hd video onto a regular dvd and have component hookups in my dvd player .. will it play in HD?

or do I need the HD dvds.. and/or special dvd player?

are there special burners for HD dvds? or do any dual layered burners work for burning HD dvds?

if I have a video card on my pc with DIV out.. and my TV only has HDMI.. and I buy a dvi to hdmi converter.. will I lose any quality?

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

If you burn an HD source to DVD video format you'll get 480i. The only way to get 720p or 1080i from a regular DVD is to play it on an upconverter.

There is a way to burn HD material to regular DVD+R discs in HD-DVD format. You retain the HD resolution but you need an HD-DVD player for playback. Here's a guide:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146

Yes.

See the above guide.

There shouldn't be any loss of quality since you keep the signal purely digital.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It depends on what codec you are trying to use. DVD players won't play anything in high-def. You best choice is to find a Divx 6 capable player that can play Divx HD files or use your PC and play back the Divx-HD files. It is also possible to convert your HD material to WMV-9 format (VC-1) and play it back on your PC at full resolution (720p or 1080i/p).

If you burn an HD source to a DVD it won't play in a DVD player at all. Up-convert DVD players upscale standard def signals, they don't pass true HD signals (I think the Philips up-convert DVD player that is Ultra Divx certified will pass a true high-def signal when playing Divx HD files and JPEG images).

No DVI and HDMI carry the same video signals. Although the digital audio and remote control features will not be available since DVI only carries video signals.

Ced

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Ced: I meant if you use a DVD authoring program like Pinnacle Studio or Nero Ultra with any source (HD or otherwise) you'll end up with a regular DVD which will be playable in a regular DVD player. I did not mean burning the original HD file to a DVD. Maybe we should ask the OP what his HD source is.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Eatsushi I know you know your stuff I was just making sure all bases where covered.

Yes we should ask that question. We need to know what the source is (format) and what ezkim0x plans to do.

Ced

6. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

I'm just trying to figure out how I should make my setup.

for my PC to TV.. DIV to HDMI ..I just want HD Videos I download to play on my TV in HD Quality. (the audio won't matter, cause I have my sound card plugged into my surround sound.) I was at circuit city earlier today with my friend and saw a DIV to HDMI cable.. and it was 129$ ..I didn't really look at it much just glanced cause we were heading out. is that right? or was it probably something special? anyways, I'd probably just get the converter because I already have a DIV cable. I just need the Female DIV to Male HDMI I think.

then if I'll need a new burner ..hd dvd burner.. and hd dvd player to play the burned dvds

most of the formats are .avi or image files

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

If you are going to play them for your self I would just burn the AVI files as data to a standard DVD-R or Double-Layer DVD+R and play them with your current DVD drive using Windows Media Player (or better). I am assuming your PC can handle High Definition playback.

Ced

8. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

so you're saying..

if I run my dvi cable from my computers video card over to my hdtv (secondary display) into a dvi to hdmi converter ..will it play the video in the correct format with windows media player?