1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by sparksman, Nov 22, 2007.

1. sparksman

sparksman Member

I have a computer with XP. The BIOS recognizes the Hard drive just fine. After exiting BIOS it will go to the XP startup and then a blue screen with an error message comes up. I tried running the XP disc and when it gets to the place to repair it, it says it can't find any hard drives. Any suggestions? The error on the blue page says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Thanks!

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

how many sticks of ram do you have? if you have more than one, take one out. If you only have one move it to a different slot.

3. sparksman

sparksman Member

Thanks for the advise, but unfortunately that didn't work either. It has two sticks of RAM, so I took 1 out and also switched the slots, but the same thing keeps happening. Any other solutions?

4. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

Have you tried booting into "safe mode" or "last known good config"?

5. sparksman

sparksman Member

yes, I have tried all of that too. I have no idea what is wrong. I even put the hard drive in another computer as a slave. When I got into windows I ran check disk and defrag along with a virus scan. It made it through all of that. So I re-installed it back in the computer and the same thing happened. Any more ideas?

6. KiNtArO01

KiNtArO01 Guest

keep it at one ram stick the origional one then start it up if that dont work you can try to repair bad xp install idk if thatll work tho

7. sparksman

sparksman Member

Tried it and that didn't work either. When I try to use the XP disc it keeps saying that it can't find any hard drives. I am going crazy. Anyone have any other ideas?

8. jony218

jony218 Guest

Did you do any type of partitioning or image backup of your c: drive?

My advice get the "paragon justboot corrector" demo and use that to boot up the computer, let it check your hard drive to make sure the drive letters are correct.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/JustBoot_Boot_Corrector_38938_p/

If that doesn't show you any faults, you need to consider that you might have a bad motherboard.

9. sparksman

sparksman Member

I put the HD in another computer and i can open every file just fine. I tried setting it as the master on the new computer and it does the same thing. But as a slave you are able to view all the files. I went to computer management and it has three partitions on it. #1 is a 55MB EISA partition? #2 is the 282 GB NTFS and #3 is a 5GB Fat32. What is the EISA configuration partition? and is that what is causing the problem?

10. jony218

jony218 Guest

One thing you can do if you have image backup software like acronis true image/ghost and a spare hard drive is to make a partition image backups of your c: drive, and each of your other drives and then restore only your c: partition to your spare drive. See if that fixes it.

Was your c: drive working before and it just stop working? And you are trying to do a repair of the windows xp without losing the information that is currently on it? If you ruled out a hardware problem, it's probably a MBR problem on your old hard drive that got corrupted. Thats usually fixable, but you need to get into the xp repair console with xp boot cd, which is strange that it won't let you.

I've done many backup and restorations of windows xp, and from my observations, the MBR of the hard drives is seperate from the actual operating system partitions. If the operating system on your old harddrive was booting before this problem, backing it up and transfering to another hard drive might get it to bootup (only problems might be drive letter changes/boot.ini editing which are fixable).

The 55mb EISA partition is some sort of diagnostic tools. the fat32 partition is probably a recovery partition.

the link shows a dell that has a 55mb EISA partition and likely use.
    http://www.devhardware.com/forums/storage-devices-80/my-partitions-155552.html#post710871

11. sparksman

sparksman Member

Yes, the drive was working before. It just suddenly stopped being able to boot up. It goes to the XP startup screen where the blue blocks go back and forth, and then it goes to an all blue screen that has a bunch of writing which I referred to earlier. The MB recognizes the HD but for some reason the XP cd won't. I am totally lost now.