1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Corrupt: RAW Partition

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by swatblade, Dec 10, 2004.

1. swatblade

swatblade Guest

I have a Maxtor 30GB HDD that was working perfectly and doesnt seem to have any errors on it at all - except for all of a sudden the drive shows up as 0 bytes capacity. I transferred some data to it and the next day I got the data error cyclic redundancy check.

I can't seem to retrieve my data out.. seriously and urgently need help as the data is quite important...

2. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

This happened to me with a fujitsu hard drive, could you give me more info like bios error codes or what ever. If you have another hard drive or pc with OS on it you can hook up the faulty or at least corrupt hdd as a secondary hdd and recover data that way. If you can you could try to get windows to repair it or use other programs , Google is your best friend here.

Another option is too use an OS that boots from cd like KNOPPIX to recover hdd data. Or is you really are serious about it and definately know its not faulty then i would suggest using Winternals ERD Commander 2003 that program has saved my ass so many times. I can't tell you where to get ERD Commander for free but you can download a trial at http://www.winternals.com as for knoppix i don know as i got it as a coverdisc on a mag.

Be careful though if the hdd is faulty it could be on its last legs making it harder to recover data from the more you use it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  3. steblade

steblade Member

Try a program called spin rite 6, im not sure if a trial version is available but it rocks, pm me i might be able to help you out with a copy/point you in the write direction.

4. swatblade

swatblade Guest

Ok Guys, the problem goes like this...
    Whenever I double-clicked the drive in Window Explorer, it will prompt me to format the drive. The drive shows 0 Bytes in properties.

5. steblade

steblade Member

Id try Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional v.6.0, if the important data your trying to recover isn't wasted this will get it back for you, Id have a look at the drive in partition magic to, ive had odd problems with maxtor drives after ive had them in a raid array, I used maxblaster to format the drive and prep it for windows use and Easy Recovery Professional v.6.0 still recovered data from the drives. Im guessing the data is more valuable that the drive is.

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

If the drive is on it's way out it is probably best to create an image with Norton Ghost or the like and then try to recover data from the image.The more times you access such a drive the more chance data is unrecoverable.

It's a good idea to run a diagnostic on the drive after you create image. Maxtor Powermax is what you want and you can get it here...........

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1386.html

7. steblade

steblade Member

Well seeing as were talking about a 30gb drive id say it was quite old, this is an asumption of course but anyway, if the drive is becoming noisey thats a sure sign its about to die, but there's every chance its just a minor foul up. Get your hands on the right tools and you should be ok, and yes its true the more you access the drive that more data could be lost but you have to try dont you. Your going to have to decide what do based on what you know about the problem. Id guess its a problem with the os not recognising the drive / or partition size data on the drive being corrupted, these are the tools I use , partition magic 8, ontrack easy recovery pro, spin rite 6, disk keeper pro xp v8 and maxblaster to perform checks and repairs on my drives , so far no problems that I could fix with that lot.