1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdd for a gamecube !!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by QwertyOp, Dec 25, 2004.

1. QwertyOp

QwertyOp Member

So we all know that the Game Cube is a HDD less device... or is it.

I recently purchased a GameBoy Advance RW Cartridge, and the GBA Adapter for a Game Cube. Now if you think about it "outside of the box", When you put the adapter on the gamecube and boot off of the GameBoy Startup disc... you can run a normal GBA game. but with GBA RW cartridge... you can write any code you want to it...

So i just technically added a 512 mb Hard Drive to the Game Cube.

So now we have a HDD that we can basically run anything on it that we want.
    Does anyone know what kind of task this would take to write somehting that would access an executable over the network... or in this case... just like an xbox... can we install a dashboard on the small rom and run it like a modded xbox?

lemme know what you think...

It's only a little bit of memory... but seriously

am i stupid or am i on to something?

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Actually it isn't really stupid,but lacks space to run anything like dashboards or Evox like Xbox.You could probably send .Dol and .Elf files and stuff like that through it.I think a harddrive technique will come out,but this would probably be using the Viper GC modchip to get one to work or I could be wrong.It could run off some kind of connector leading to the bottom of the cube,but I have no clue on how a hdd would work with the GC.

3. punqewe

punqewe Active member

They could look into a feature like the xtender chip for xbox where it has the ability to add hard drives off the chip.

4. QwertyOp

QwertyOp Member

basically all i wanted to do is run a Dashboard that connects to a server on your network... and streams them... just to make it a little easier. the GBA cartridge would just be a subtitute than PSO. I'm working on getting the game... but i'm looking for an alternative or a more simple way to boot it up to.

5. sherbet

sherbet Member

hi.
    i'm not a hardware genius, just a computer freak..

if 'GBA player for GC' really can bypass the GC's BIOS, I think it'll work. well, does anybody know if GBA player can really bypass the GC BIOS?

BTW, I thought that someones is working on the GC port (on the bottom of the GC) to USB cable.. when will that be finished?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  6. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

Hi all...First off The GC is the best system...Well Nintendo in its self is the best...I have like every system and when people come over to my house my Nintendo products get the most use...So anyways I have a GBA SP with Flash 2 advance 128mb and a Gamecube...Im going to buy the GBA game player for my GC but was wondering if the pogoshell software and the nes roms will work with GBA gameplayer and if I can flsh the cart using the link port on the gameplayer insted of my GBA...The DS doesn't have the link port anymore and thats why i need to use the port on the gameplayer....

7. YM2151

YM2151 Member

GBA Player to my knowledge will not normally have any control over the GC. It's possible the GC's CPU memory map could include executing from the cartridge memory if you knew where it was mapped. I think a better idea though would be to write your own drivers and create your own IDE to GC HiSpeed Serial Port 2 device. It's a much more worth while solution.

8. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

you might be able to but be forwarned if nintendo has a security feature in the gba player software to read gba software only it will just boot the gameboy logo of the rainbow colored lettering and freeze

but sound's interesting to try ??

9. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

well i use a cheep gameplayer made by madcatz..and it sux bad...it will read one game installed on the flash cart but will not read 2 or more games...this gameplayer plugs into the controler port...I do have a question do I need the gameplayer or can i just get a GBA to GC link cable to play the gba games on the GC...
    also does this PSO loader stuff really work and can I save the games to the mem card and continue to play from the save spot...

10. QwertyOp

QwertyOp Member

the Game Cube Adapter works with my rom cartridge... i can read and write to it just like i could using a GB SP

11. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

I have the flash 2 advance cart...when I hook it up the PC I have to hit start+select to write to the cart...the GC controler doesn't have a select button...what do i do

12. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

Sorry Im so stupid if I just read the instructions...Gameplayer works great...reads the Pogoshell OS all the NES games...Played Kid Icarus for like 2 hours last night..the only thing is you can't play 2player games

13. tj162

tj162 Member

Check this I found it on http://www.dextrose.com

<retroburner> <19:46> You don't need a chip. You nned a GB Player.
    <retroburner> <19:46> need.
    <foreignbloke> <19:47> Just hte player? I thought a boot disc was involved?
    <retroburner> <19:47> Sort of.
    <retroburner> <19:49> You need a boot cart. A flashed GBA cart with the modified GC bios. The GC boots the player, the player ups a new bios to the GC, and then you swop discs.
    <retroburner> <19:52> It's the Dreamcast all over again, Datel or whoever it was release a region defeating disc, then someone figures it out.
    <foreignbloke> <19:54> How does one lead to the other though? I don't get how the GB Player is needed.
    <retroburner> <19:57> It's the only way to get a GC to read other media. GC needs a disc, and the GB player disc transfers control to the cart. You can soft reset from that with an altered bios and request another disc. Ka-ching!

14. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

Do you have the exact link...I have everything we need to try...just need the steps to make it work..and the bios files

15. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

OK this is what I have...GameCube...Flash advance 2 128 cart...Nintendo Gameboy gameplayer...I got a cobra 2 bios file of the net(cobra02.vgc)...I did a complete erease of the cart and flashed just the cobra02.vgc...when i booted the screen was blank....any Ideas

16. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

Well I also tried booting .dol fils and nothing....I don't this will work

17. tj162

tj162 Member

try changing the extension name of the bios to .gba eg cobra2.gba before you flash it, this will make the gc think it is a game and try and boot it (I dont no if it works either, I have everything but a gameboy player)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  18. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

I just try that and still nothing...where can I download the bios file maybe the one I have doesn't work

19. 1DKS1

1DKS1 Member

Well I have tried everthing...nothing is booting

20. tj162

tj162 Member

O well I guess it don't work then I'll try and look for a new bios but it probally wont work.