1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD for PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by embl3m, Dec 23, 2012.

1. embl3m

embl3m Member

I just bought a PS2 network adapter where can you find a brand new 120gb 7200 rpm hard drive? All I find so far are used/refurbished models....

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. supercopy

supercopy Member

You have to understand that the fat PS2 uses PATA (aka EIDE) hard disks, which is now considered an obsolete interface. Nowadays most hard disks have SATA interfaces. Best thing you can do is to protect your game discs well, and buy the cheapest PATA HDD you can find (so you don't lose much if the HDD dies on you). IMO 5400 RPM HDDs will run PS2 games just fine, they are still wayyyy faster than the PS2's optical disc drive.

4. embl3m

embl3m Member

I guess it would be too much to look for a brand new IDE hard disk at this time, alright I'll just settle with the cheap refurbished ones since I always make backups of my games thanks.

5. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Member

Thanks for the thread Needed to ask the exact same question.
    I just recently(last night) found my old v7 ps2, dusted it off and noticed the network adapter attached to it that I dont remember ever getting after some pondering if I wanted to get back into playing PS2 games but my drive bay only opens half way, I need to pull it out the rest, then I discovered HD Loader and HDA. Now I'm dead set to do it. about to order Swap Magic and work from there to get HDL.
    I keep reading that HDL's HDD cap is the old windows 137GB limit!?
    Further reading I found that it has bumped up to 300GB in the latest release.
    Now Im in the market to look for a HDD thats 300GB or at the least 250GB+.

I have no experience with IDE drives, I have SATA smarts but not IDE.

reading this thread I gather I can ONLY use IDE or eIDE harddrives? EIDE and PATA are the same?
    I found a WD IDE ATA-6(also says EIDE) 300GB HDD and a Maxtor PATA 300GB HDD but this one says Ultra-ATA and ATA-7?
    work on the PS2?
    have to order them, so waiting 1-2 weeks for a mistake is really wasting money.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013