1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Freeze Problem...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bmxer4lyf, Mar 18, 2005.

1. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

This is an odd problem im having with my hard drive(s). First of all my D: drive is the smaller drive. What happens is, I have to delete junk thats on the D drive and theres alot, lol, so I go to the drive and select all the files ready for the trash can, and right click, but then it freezes there...and there is NOTHING i can do at that point. Not even Crtl Alt Delete. And sometimes it freezes before I can even select or right click.Also my C: drive has this same problem...

Can anyone help me here?? And sorry for going on & on jus something like this has never happened before...

PS-These are not files that I can clean in Add/Remove Programs, and the "Low Disk Space,Please clean drive (D) and free some space..." comes up frequently but theres nothing to clean... it says
    Recycling Bin: 0KB
    Office Setup Files: 0KB
    Catalog files for the Content Indexer: 0KB

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

download & run ccleaner to clean the crap out of windows & your hds. do an online virus/spyware scan with www.antivirus.com free housecall

3. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

ok ill try the cleaner, but as to the virus, I know for sure that it is not. cuz i always run norton, scan simeltaneously, and nothing

k thanks for the sugestions

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i've found viruses on computers with avg that norton doesn't find so do an online scan to make certain

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

bmxer4lyf

When you say freezes are you sure its just not tasking a heavy load? I’m a bit lost here so here goes…

Norton has a different Recycle bin from the norm, since it keeps files that you think were deleted in a special folder to restore incase of a mistaken delete. That takes up twice the room on your HDD.

Reset your Norton Recycle bin back to regular windows recycle bin and you should be OK.

Also try to select just a few files at a time and see what happens since it sounds like its hanging only because you have too many selected at one time and your system can’t handle it.