1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdd questions

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by REAM, May 5, 2007.

1. REAM

REAM Guest

i was just wondering....

1) does the data get stored from inside out or outside in of the HDD?

2) why does it get stored the way it does? (as in is it faster on the inside/outside)

3) if i delete something, will all the data after it move up one space to the inside or outside?

4) if not how could you getthe data to move closer to either edge for faster reading?

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

1. from the inside out
    2. don't know but is faster on the outside compared to inside, the same applies to propellers & helicoptor rotors.
    3. when delete something it just leaves an empty spot til a program or a file fills it.
    4. by defragging the hd.

3. REAM

REAM Guest

but if it reads faster from the outside, then wouldnt it store data on the outside first, then gradually going to the inside?

4. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

consider the disk(platter) of a hd as a cd or a dvd, it starts from the center & works it's way to the outside as you can see that on burnt cd/dvd's. the outside of disk is not as reliable for a starting point compared to the center.

5. REAM

REAM Guest

i see. thank you. so if you store data onto it untill it is full, the latest data would be read quicker because it would be near the outside?

6. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

same time whether inside, outside or middle. will be somewhat quicker if hd is defragged compared to not defragged.

7. REAM

REAM Guest

ok thanks. these questiosn were buggin me for a while... thanks for the answers:)

8. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

no problem