1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD seems slower than DVD.

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by DBM_Bones, Mar 30, 2007.

1. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Hi I have a PS2 with Toxic 4.1 OS and a 250GB seagage HDD, it all works fine and im more than happy with it, it play's games from the HDD fine, but the intro's like in GT4 etc are very jumpy, they are fine via the DVD. any one know why, I thought the HDD should be faster than the DVD. The hdd is a lot faster in GTA and scareface etc. when playing the game, makes them much more playable.

as I said it not a major problem, just wondered why.

Also I can't say this enough if you TV supports component input you must get the component lead, it makes a masive differance.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

it should be faster for sure. My system has a DMS4 Pro and the same firmware, running a Western Digital 250GB hard drive and the load times are surely faster then from a disc. Are you using good media?
    Usually even if the disc doesn't run great it would run better from the HDD

3. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

As I said game times seem faster,
    It just the FMV are jumpy from the HDD. and fine from DVD.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

could just be that the ToxicOS is not reading the media you use well when copying it to the hard drive. Because all of mine work just fine.

5. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I would have thought once its on the HDD it should not matter how it got there, as I said it works fine just the FMV is jittery.

I copied it from the same orignal as im using to test, and that's fine. its the same with GT3 GT4 and Prologue.

as I said load times are fine, make a masive differance in GTA-xx and Scareface.

Maybe I'll try another HDD,

Also trying copying from PC and via the toxic OS. as can't remember how I did it the 1st time.

I know Via PC its about 10 times quicker. only get about 2meg a sec via the toxic os and about 8-16 via PC.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  6. steimy

steimy Active member

I did all of mine through ToxicOS, and if the hard drive is not quite right, or not compatible then that may cause your problems.
    I have about 40 games on mine and every one has worked better than the disc.

7. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

As I have said all the games run quicker,

as any one else got Toxic OS and a HDD and GT3 or 4, that can test the intro movie for me.

Thanks
    Leigh