1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD seen by PC, not Xbox...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by qcmarque, Aug 28, 2007.

1. qcmarque

qcmarque Member

SO I installed a chip in my brother's xbox, plus a 300gb hdd.... everything was fine until he upgraded the IDE cable - then the system hung. After replacing the cable with an original, it still hung, and eventually a cap on the MOBO blew up and caught fire. So I modded an extra box I had and setup my old 60gb in it - no issues. But the system hangs with the 300gb. I hooked it up to a pc and it was recognised, I activated it and formatted it. Hook it up to the box - hang (at the X logo screen always.) Also, I just got a 400gb seagate barracuda, same thing (haven't seen if a PC will see it yet)

Anyone come across this and know how to fix the issue? I'd really hate to have a total of 700gb's sittin around as paperweights... Thanks!

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Could be a chip issue! If it's hanging at the X and not loading an error it'll be a BIOS issue!

Remove the chip and Softmod like everyone else!

;)

3. qcmarque

qcmarque Member

See, thing is it's only with these two drives... all the others I have work fine. Most of the time (if it's v1.0-1.5) I'll flash the TSOP and prepare the drive in my chipped system.

What happens exactly is this:
    Put in the drive, boot, get as far as the X logo and it lags... SEVERELY. I can get it into the X3 bios, but it takes forever, and when I let it set the first time (took almost 30-45 min to get through the menus) it blew up a mobo capacitor and cooked the board. I've gotten my PC to recognize and format the drive so it can be used there... but the xbox still hangs/lags when it's connected.

I'm going to try the chimp and/or the other one (xbhdd or whatever it is) to see if I can find a work around... maybe something PC based to prep the drive and everything. I dunno.

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Who TSOP flashes anymore...?

Seriously, just remove the chip as it is clearly damaging the Xbox and install a Softmod. No flashing, no problems, just modding. Read my tutorials to find out how!

5. qcmarque

qcmarque Member

The chip isn't damaging the system though... any system I put it in, whether it be TSOP flashed, chipped, or not it does the same thing. On every system I try it on. It all started up when we upgraded to an ATA133 ide cable bought of xboxrepair.com - and with that cable it did the same thing with every drive (even the original from the system)

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Put it in a stock Xbox and unplug the DVD.

Does it go to an error 12?

7. qcmarque

qcmarque Member

What would the code 12 tell me? DVD parameters... I'm missing some point here I'm sure.

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

BIOS\Chip issues don't have error codes. The error codes also have a boot order.

eg. If you constantly get an Error 16, unplug the DVD drive, the Xbox will check for a functioning DVD. Upon not finding one it will display an error 12, not an error 16 as that has not been checked yet!

If you can get it to start displaying errors then you can narrow down where the problem lies!

9. qcmarque

qcmarque Member

oOo... that makes sense. I'll check it tonight.