1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdd turns chip off

Discussion in 'PS2' started by synapse, Apr 23, 2005.

1. synapse

synapse Member

Hi, i am currently using a Magic V chip in a v7 playstation 2. When i run the ps2 without the hdd in, it will load up any game. However, when i put the hdd in, and try activating the chip, it seems to say "please insert a playstatio or ps2 disk". Is there anything i can, i see noone has said something like this yet...is there another way to boot the disk with hdd in?

2. synapse

synapse Member

*bump*, i've seen to get it working if i pull the harddrive after i start it, and putting it back in, this is very tricky and doesn't work all the time. Any ideas?

3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

details on what chip you have, what method you are using to boot the hard drive, and what game you are trying to run with a mod chip would be useful here.

Also what method you need to use to turn the PS2 on for the mod chip to work.

Maybe tell us if you just got the chip, or have had it for a while and just added the hard drive.

I suspect user error is the problem. The HDD has nothing to do with the mod chip!

4. synapse

synapse Member

Well as i mentioned earlier, I am using Magic V chip. To turn this on for ps2 games, I have to turn on my ps2 then reset it to turn it into playstation 2 mode. When i do with with the hdd installed, it always says "please insert a valid playstation 2 disk"; However, if i start off with the hdd in, pull it out, reset playstation, reset it again(trying to activate chip), and then push hdd back in, the hdd boots up fine, but the chip still won't work. It only works half the time using that guide i made up lol. I can't really think of anything else, thank you so much for answering, this is quite frustrating.

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

so what are you trying to do though? Play a backup game without the HDD? or are you using some burnt version of hdloader to get to the hdd and play your game?

With my chip I just turn the PS2 on then hit the reset button and it loads right into whatever I am playing (burned games)

I dont know what your problem could be though.

6. synapse

synapse Member

It doesn't matter what game it is :S. With the hdd in, it doesn't seem to work. I just usually reset, and it starts everything up. I am trying to load up hdloader though, but it does the same thing for all games, thanx stinky for the quick reply, Oh yeah, i'm using a v7 ps2, what are u using?

7. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I am using a V5-6 ps2 with a duo2 SE chip.

I am wondering if this is a problem with the install where a wire has hit a wrong spot or something like that? Because the mod chip should really have nothing to do with the HDD.

8. Shinraz

Shinraz Member

hey Synapse, I am having the same problem. I made a new thread but no one seems to reply to it and I found your thread heh. When I mod'ed my PS2 with a mod chip it was in Hong Kong =/ and I don't know what kind of Mod Chip they used on my PS2 but all burned games and original games work just fine. But when I have a HDD in the PS2 and I try to load any game, it doesn't load - it shows the disc in the browser menu and when I click on the PS2 disc it says "please insert a playstation 2 disc" Don't know what is going on. (I am using the original HD from Sony that came with FFXI) Maybe the HDD has to be formatted for it to work?

9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The official Sony HDD has a feature that disables modchips. You cannot use your modchip with the official Sony HDD installed. The easiest solution is to purchase a standard IDE HDD and use that with your HD Loader.

10. Shinraz

Shinraz Member

didn't know that, thanks Icemonkey for the reply.

11. synapse

synapse Member

Shinraz, i'll do you one better. I can get mine to work 100% of the time now. Alright, when you start your ps2, you will hear the hdd boot up, as long as you don't have it screwed in, just pull it out until you hear the hdd stop spinning, and push it back in. Perfect-o, load's everything. Can't get enough of GT4 on the hdd.

12. Shinraz

Shinraz Member

do you have to repeat this process everytime you wanna play on your PS2 though?

13. synapse

synapse Member

Well i have only had trouble booting cd's. I only have my hdd plugged in when i need it, or i have it out a bit because it seems to disable my chip for cd's. Dvd-rs work amazing, all the time; but yes, if u want to use the hdd and a cd at the same time, everytime