1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdd unlocking

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by wtp1, Sep 24, 2007.

1. wtp1

wtp1 Member

It started with a xbox I bought with a bad softmod. I wanted to bring it back to factory, do a new softmod and back it up. I couldn't get the softmod gone bad off. Somehow I got the facktory dashboard back to factory, so I thought. I have the ms dash for a dashboard, it plays games fine but when I tried a new softmod it freezes as son as I start the run linux. I thought I would try xboxhdm to build a new drive. I've been trying the hotswap idea with no luck. I read that if I would boot up the machine and after the xbox logo would come up, disconnect the ide cable and plug pc cable in and the drive should be unlocked. xboxhdm says still locked. I also didn't get error 11 with the dvd unplug either so I tried booting a game and then doing the swap and it still didn't unlock. Why is this drive not unlocking? be kind to a newbie plaese. Just need alittle help.

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Get SID 4.5 or 5.01. These can be found in the auto installer packages, its a torrent download. I contains a fresh copy of the retail 5960 MS Dashboard, which you will need if you want to restore you xbox to factory or re-softmod.

The lunix hangs because you have a bad copy of the installer.
    Once you get SID, backup the eeprom and copy it onto your pc, FTP into unmodded xbox:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/558758

Once you have a copy of the eeprom, you don't need to hotswap. Follow this tutorial. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828
    The tutorial teaches you how to create or rebuild an unlocked drive and lock the drive using xboxhdm 1.9 but you want to unlock it first. So you will skip down to where the tutorial shows how to lock the drive. Instead of locking, you will unlock by typing "unlockhd -a" it must be lower case and without the parenthesis exactly how its written. After its unlocked, follow and do the tutotial completely.

These are chunkhead’s tutorials. For furure reference return to his page. It contains everything you will ever need to know about xbox modding.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  3. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Its best that you rebuild the drive instead of just replacing the MS Dash. Your box can be restored by unmounting C:\ deleting and inserting a clean dash into it. By rebuilding, you will be gaining an additional 2GB since all xbox stock hard drives range from 8-10 GB but have unallocated space.

4. wtp1

wtp1 Member

I tried sid 4.0 and got the same results.

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You'll have a corrupt ms dash!

Reinstall a new clean copy to your C:\

Use the softmod installer found in my tutorials and ensure that you are using the correct version of the installers (PAL\NTSC)

Splinter cell is the most stable!

6. wtp1

wtp1 Member

Here is what I did. I built a eeprom reader, made a eeprom, used xboxhdm and built a knew hdd. Everything worked great. I went to chunkheads software and download sid4.0 and it would not work. I download sid4.0 from another loaction and that installed. I made backups right away and then chose softmod, single boot. everything seemed to be working until I rebooted. It went back to original ms dash screen. Why is it doing that. Am I doing something or is it suppose to do that? I've used mechinstaller awhile back and that worked fine.

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

My installer works fine, you are obviously doing something wrong!

I use it all the time and I've never had a complaint.

Are you using the correct (PAL\NTSC) for Splintercell or are you using a different game?

What do you mean by you 'made' an eeprom!?

8. wtp1

wtp1 Member

Not saying it don't work ,it just didn't work for me. I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong I just don't know what. I take your launcher file and mech file in to my xbox using action replay and a mem card. Run linux and it either freezes or reboots to a need service screen with no error code. I'm not fimaliar with sid4.0 thats why I said in my other post "Am I doing something or is it suppose to do that?" As far as the eeprom, I built a eeprom reader and read the eeprom right from the box and used a program called PONYPROG to make sure the serial number matched my box. Saved it and opened it in LIVEINFO and wrote down the key and saved it. Put eeprom in eeprom folder in xboxhdm and copied slayers c folder to c and used xboxhdm to unlock drive, made new drive from sctrach feature, then relocked drive and put it back in xbox. Booted and transfered the needed launcher and mech file to xbox. Booted mech game went Campaign and hit run linux and it either froze or it rebooted to need service screen. Downloaded a file called sid4installer instead of launcher and it booted up. Backed everything up and clicked install softmod. Everything went well untill I rebooted and it went back to ms dash dashboard. Thats why I need help cause I'm sure I'm doing it wrong or forgetting something. Never said anybody's files are bad, I just couldn't get them to work for me. I'm just glad people like you guys take time to help us newbies and provide us with files. So don't get me wrong, I am thankful for people like all of you. Just need a little helping hand.

9. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I've used chunkhead's installer and it works fine. It must be the ms dashboard that you are trying to softmod with. Try a different exploit disc, I don't know what to say but if you haven't, download the 5960 dashboard from the link that chunkhead provides.

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

It could be your Mechassault!?

Try Splintercell!

Which dash did you choose at the end? Try both!

11. wtp1

wtp1 Member

I tried both. I'm gonna clean alittle garbage out of my pc and start all over tomorrow. I'll post results

12. wtp1

wtp1 Member

I got it going!!! So far. This time I went into xboxhdm and unlocked drive and instead of starting with build a new drive from scratch I choose to format drive first. I did that like 5 times then started the process of building from scratch and used chunkhead's msdash instead of slayers and used the splintercell version of softmodding instead of mechassualt and it worked perfect EXCEPT when I boot up now it flickers a few times. Not sure why that is. Anybody know? Next thing is I made a new backup. Now I'm going to goto wally world and get a new drive for my pc and want to use my old seagate 100gb for the xbox. Any recommendations to prep the drive before I start? I'm gonna check chunkhead's tutorials to see how to up grade drive. I ftped a buddies xbox because hes got like ton of games on his. When I get my upgraded drive installed I'll transfer his games over to mine. He's using avalunch for a dashboard, is that gonna matter? Thanks a bunch you guys for being so kind to a newbie.

13. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The drive jumper must be on primary master or master. Just choose the option 1 create hdd from scratch. It will wipeout any previous formatted partions. Nothing to prep just backup any data from the drive your going to format if you don't want to lose any.

It doesn't matter which dashboard, as long you can ftp you can transfer anything you want. You can also use XBOXFTP to transfer data among boxes instead of having to transfer to pc and then having to transfer into xbox.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  14. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Hey, I'm glad we got you up and running!

Not sure what you mean by "Flashing", but if it boots to the dashboard then I wouldn't worry about it!

As for you upgrade, the tutorials will show you how to do it with ease!

GO GET YOUR EEPROM NOW!!!

15. wtp1

wtp1 Member

Everything I used this time came from chunkhead and the new modded xbox runs like a clock. I burned my eeprom to a disk and fars a flashing, it's when I fire up the xbox and unleash logo comes up it flickers like 3 times and goes right in. I'm not to worried about it just wondered if if anyone new why it might do that. Thanks everyone for being a great help.

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Not a problem! Hope to see you around the forum more often!

;)

17. wtp1

wtp1 Member

Thank you again and I'd like to hang around for awhile. I just got into this hobby and would love to learn more. My kid is in heaven with this new machine. I have one more with a bad drive so I'm gonna try my new eprom reader again to get another one going. For those of you that don't have one, let me tell you it was the easiest thing to build and use. It is WELL WORTH the $6.42. What a fun new hobby.

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Have a play with XBMC! It will excite you beyond words!

19. wtp1

wtp1 Member

Really??? I'll have to do alittle research and see what it is all about. It will take me a few days befor I get to try out my second box. I was unhooking the drive and dropped it on the power supply board and fried it. I have another one on the way. Should have it by Sat. Untill then I'll search for xbmc

20. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

T3CH XBMC Builds releases are the best. Download XBMC is the best dashboard it allows you stream and play video, music, ect. Its better to self discover it, download it and see for youself.