1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD'S

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by whiskey99, Oct 3, 2013.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I just got a ULTRA USB 2.0 TO IDE/SATA CABLE ADAPTER and hooked it up to my DELL E521,WENT INTO MY COMPUTER and it pulled up the GATEWAY HDD and to my surprise it said it was healthy,now what i would like to do is install it into the DELL E521 and use as a second HDD and as what was said this an old HDD.

What i thought about doing is get a bigger HDD partition if off and transfer everything to it from the GATEWAY to the new HDD,but if i am not mistaken the WINXP on the GATEWAY will not go with it but since i have WINXP on the DELL E521 that should allow me to get into the data on the GATEWAY is my thinking on this right.

I think the only thing i need is the right cables & connections,there are a lot of youtube videos on how to possibly do this just have hunt for the right video,any thoughts would be appreciated,thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try that explanation again as is confusing to read.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

To keep the data that is currently on the gateway drive & transfer it to a new larger drive 1st off install easeus todo backup on the gateway(free version for personal use cnet should have it),then create a system image,preferably 2 of them on separate hard drives

once that's done you can then either clone the gateway hdd to the new larger drive or do a recovery by using the newly created system image,then you'll be free to place the old gateway drive into the E521

However if you want to transfer xp from the gateway to the E521 it can be done you'll need to use differential hardware option & once it's loaded necessary drivers change the license key by using the E521 key & check device manager for required drivers that weren't installed

edit: Be sure not to delete any recovery partitions on either computer,instead create file/folder backup images or partition images of those recovery partitions as mentioned before create 2 of them on different hard drives

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I have a 40pin female IDE to SATA converter installed in the DELL E521,just checked the HDD and is spinning and
    it came out of a GATEWAY GT4010 also has winxp installed.
    I have 2 question marks in device manager that appears to pertain to this HDD.
    I am at a lost as to why i can not get HDD to show up as 2nd drive in PC,but it showed up when used my USB ADAPTER
    2.0 TO IDE/SATA ADAPTER,any thoughts would be appreciated.
    It probably is something really simple,thanks

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

usb is not the same as mobo connection.
    The SATA drive may need a jumper there is provision for one or perhaps the adapter is not compatible for use with an old mobo.

6. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I still have not got the GATEWAY HDD to show up in disk management here is my thoughts on how to do it.

(1) unplug DELL HDD and see if the GATEWAY HDD comes on line, right now it appears not to have a drive number which may preclude it not starting up.

(2) unplug DELL HDD drive and plug GATEWAY into the SATA data port it came out of, if i do this will PC get confused and turn into a door stop.

(3)if i unplug data cable from DELL HDD would the GATEWAY assume the letter of the DELL HDD and come on line.

(4) When i hooked up the USB adapter and brought up the GATEWAY and assigned a letter to it was there a way to keep that letter after i unplugged it

7. ddp

did you try disk management in control panel?

8. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,I had to go into MY COMPUTER to get disk management
    when i do that all i see is the c drive and DVD DRIVE.
    scorpNZ mentioned a jumper but did not say where it was located,the only jumper i know of is the one on the HDD which i changed to master but that did not change anything.
    Now under device manager this what i show.
    (1)SERIAL CABLE USING IrDA PROTOCOL
    (2)ADAPTER AHA-151X/AHA-152X OR AIC-6260/AIC6360
    SCSI HOST ADAPTER (non-pnp).
    And there are question marks before each one of these items,i believe this where my problem lies,thanks

9. ddp

did you get a driver disk with that adapter or use windows updates to see if it has drivers for that adapter? i presume the drives in that dell are ide including the optical drive.

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The pin jumpers are directly to the right of centre on a SATA,the drive i'm looking at doesn't say what they are however one of my other ones does

11. ddp

scorp, i think those jumper pins are for the transfer speed as in 1.5gb\s or 3gb\s.

12. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,there was no disk as it was supposed to be plug&play,i checked for updates and it appears no new ones.
    The HDD is SATA,i will look in setup tomorrow and look at
    is in there but i believe there were some mention of
    primary&secondary ide ports as well as USB ports.
    I know this like beating a dead horse,but i consider this as a learning experience,thanks

13. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,Well i got my adapter today hooked up to the IDE HDD and it shows up in disk management& setup,in setup it
    shows up as # 3,what i need to know is how to setup my pc
    so that i can access either HDD,THANKS

14. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

Well i went into the BIOS and changed which HDD to boot from first,started up PC WINXP came on line got a new different looking welcome screen,but cursor and screen froze up is there a way to get around this problem,i think
    i may have to go back into BIOS and make a change on something else,thanks

15. ddp

in disk management, did you do the partition & format of the new sata drive? which drive booted up xp that froze, the dell hd or the gateway hd?

16. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,I AM ON THE DELL HDD right now writing this post.
    The GATEWAY is the one that froze up.
    They both have WINXP installed on them from their initial
    start up so i would think that in theory they should be treated as individual installations as they each have their own OS installed.
    By changing the boot order could that be treated as if i
    went into PC and unplugged the SATA HDD would that allow the GATEWAY HDD to start up with no freeze ups,thanks

17. ddp

did the gateway computer have the same chipset as the dell because if not than that is what is causing the freezeup of the gateway hd on the dell. why are you booting 2 xp's on the same computer?

18. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

to see if i could access to what is on the GATEWAY.

19. ddp

don't need it to boot if just getting data off the drive like pictures & documents.

20. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

Well i had to to M/S to get them to issue a new key code which allowed me into the IDE HDD now all i have to figure out is how get on the internet still have my home page intact

but just can not get thru to internet somewhere on these forums i have seen how to do it just need to locate it.