1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdloader and hd on modded ps2

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by algtz1, Aug 24, 2007.

1. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I have a v12 slim PS2 with a 1.1 Crystal Chip. I want to start loading my backups from a hard drive. Every tutorial I've seen demonstrate using hdloader with an IDE harddrive on a fat ps2. I have an 80 gig WD IDE harddrive but I also want to explore the possibility of buying an external USB higher capacity drive. My question is this.
    Apart from purchasing the hdloader program.
    What else will I need to run the 80 gig IDE WD hd. Do I need some type of adapter and will it work with the v12 slim ps2?
    Secondly what type of external high capacity USB solutions are there? Will any size hd work? Any brand USB external hd work. I want to make sure I get it right before I fork over $100+ dollars for the hd.
    Also are there any good tutorials out there? I've done several searches but couldn't find any good ones.

2. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

1. You can only run HDL with an IDE HDD in your V12 by modding it to have an internal bay (search it).

2. USB drives can go up to 2TB (2000GB) but USB drives are as fast as the CD/DVD drive and are very incompatible with games even if you replace the DNAS image.

Just try searching for a way to mod your PStwo to allow your WD 80GB to work with your V12. I think V13 and above can't be modded to allow this so your lucky.

And if you do mod your PStwo, you'll need to modify your network adapter to fit your western digital drive in it. Search on how to do that as well.

3. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I just double checked and I have a v14 slim PS2 and I have a 40 WD and a 40 maxtor. I don't have a problem buying one of those 250/500 gig USB Wd Book HD if that would work. Is there a solution available for the v14 model? what about getting a USB enclosure and using USB Advance. I searched for this but all I see is this used in conjunction with swap magic. But I don't have SM because my PS2 is modded with a 1.1 Crystal Chip. Can anyone shed some additional light on this?