1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDLoader failed to format

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by clergykid, Oct 1, 2004.

1. clergykid

clergykid Member

Hi folks, here's my problem.

I put in a drive into my PS2 v1 yesterday, drive jumpered to master. I boot hdloader, and it detects the drive and asks me to format it. I press "OK" and then it gives me the message "Failed to format HDD"

Alright, so I tried Winhiip as others in the forum have suggested, and winhiip crashes while trying to format my drive. It also gives me the message "No PS2 master boot record" (prior to formatting, when I first load winhiip).

Does anything have suggestions/ideas to resolve the issue. What I'm wondering if whether I need to do anything special to the hard drive first before PS2 formatting. Like do I need to make a partition, format it as FAT, or anything like that?? Or does HDLoader wipe the drive clean and repartitions/formats for you?

Thanks for the help!

2. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

Man, all I can think of is to try it again. I wrote the hd loader tech support and that's all they told me to do. Of course, my issue was the jumper not being set to master at first, but I eventually resolved it.

3. clergykid

clergykid Member

I wish it's as you said dlocke, but I've tried it more than 5 times with no result. Anyone else with ideas?

So for the people that have it working, did you just put the hard drive in (regardless of whether the drive has data on it or not), format with HDLoader, and put games on the drive to play? Maybe it's my hard drive, though I thought HDLoader would freeze if it detected an incompatible drive, and mine didn't freeze, it just won't let me format.

4. clergykid

clergykid Member

Just to update, I have everything WORKING!

I tried another hard drive and voila, no problems!

5. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

Glad to hear it! Enjoy the 'best' accsessory on the market for PS2.