1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdloader help

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by DDRgod922, Nov 13, 2007.

1. DDRgod922

DDRgod922 Regular member

ok well I tried posting this same thing in another part of the forums but maybe that was the wrong place to put it.

I have had swap magic 3.6 for awhile now and I was just kinda messing around with things and tried launching some apps off of my micro sd card (with usb converter). I figured out by putting a folder called SWAPMAGIC on my micro sd card and then naming an app to SWAPMAGIC.ELF instead of swap magic loading swap magic, it loads the .elf file (I used Ulauncher, SNES Station, and SMS media player so far and got them both working 100%) So I was wandering if I could just use swap magic to boot up HDloader .elf file that I got from sksapps.com and hook up a hard drive to play my games and apps (mostly be using snes station and SMS media player apps wise anyways) I dont wanna just go out and get a hard drive disk and come to the conclusion it doesnt work cuz for 1 thing im kinda tight with money right now. Please tell me if this will or could possibly work. Heres a more clearer recap of what I would like to do.

- Get hdloader.elf onto my micro sd card (using the usb converter)
    - Launch hdload via swap magic 3.6 with usb stick in ps2 (possibly put it on memory card with Ulauncher)
    - play games and load apps from hard drive

Reasons to do this
    1. games lag on snes station with the cd
    2. sms media player happens to find all my cds "illegal"
    3. wasted over 20 dvd-rs trying to make a bug free hack of ITG
    4. convenience of not having to swap or having a buttload of dvds and cds
    5. never have to buy dvd-r or cd-rs for ps2 use

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

as long as you can load elfs with no problems, hdloader should work.

if you're using a fat ps2, you might as well do the memory card exploit, load ulaunchelf and all your elf files onto the memory card. saves the hassle of the usb flash drive.

3. DDRgod922

DDRgod922 Regular member

thank you cee43ja1, but also i dont have a network adapter sooo I was wonder if I could just get an external and hook it up via usb. i know that usb isnt really that fast but from what I herd external hard drives are faster then internal, not nessisarly know this is true or not. I also herd you cant boot music via the internal hard drive but u cant with the external.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

externals shouldn't be used for games. the ps2 only has usb1.1. internal hdd and network adapter is way faster. i'm sure that you can find one at the game store, used. i'm finding them every game store i go to; at least 2-3 in each store.

5. DDRgod922

DDRgod922 Regular member

sweet, I think thats all the information I need. thanks alot for the help