1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI 101

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by strife10, May 1, 2007.

1. strife10

strife10 Member

Hey guys I just got my PSM (Playstation Magazine) in the mail today and was looking through it and I came across some news about Playstation 3 peripherals and within that acrticle it had something titled HDMI 101 and this is what was written about herein

"All HDMI cables are not created equal. Unlike component or even standard composite Av cables, where only minor construction or quality improvments differentiate the many options, HDMI is still an evolving technology. Since its arrival as a new connector standard for a 1080p video output, there have been five upgrades to the standard (it's currently at version 1.3). Whats the differemce? The cable input connector stays the same, but the throughput of data is increasing with each new version. What impact does this that have on your games or TV picture quality? Well, it doesnt increase the screen resoluation, but the enhanced data throughput can impact picture clarity and depth of the black tnes, and reduce artifacts on-screen. The theory here is that with HDMI cables you'll get what you pay for - a partial explantion for the sticker price for the premium Monster cables."

So what are your guy's throughts on this? Any truth behind it? I bought 2 sets of HDMI cords from Wal-mart the brand was Phillips, they were like $30 or $35. Didnt want to pay $100 each and since I need one for my PS3 and for HDTV, two pairs get quite up there in price.

2. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

It makes sense. Obviously, the whole HDMI thing is still kinda new and what they say about the the data transfer sounds legit. Plus, PSM is an independent magazine. It's not the official/sponsored magazine.

This is why I made it in the middle: some HDMI cables are 10 bucks, others are 150. There's no way I'm spending 150 so I bought the 60 dollar cable at Best Buy for the PS3. I think the brand is Nyko. I have absolutely no complaints about it yet.

3. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

It's the format that's different not the cable.
    It's like saying you need a better cable to transfer .wav files than you need to transfer .MP3's
    Its the same as USB 1 1.1 and 2. they all use the same cable but at different speeds.
    Unless you but a real badly made cable. they are all the same, unless you want to go long distance. all these devices use error checking. and a 0 is a 0 and a 1 is a 1, you can't confuse the 2. where with anaolog i.e. compersit and component you have a wave form and this can get affected, by cable Q and outside interfearance.

Sorry about spelling.

4. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

A 0 is a 0 and a 1 is a 1 but if you have bad shielding on the cable RFI can cause recognition problems. If you have low EMI like in a basement of your home and you only have a PS3 and a TV you may be able to buy the $10 e-bay cable and be fine. If you are on the third floor apartment and everyone in the building has a PC, stereo, cell phone, blue tooth devices, Wi Fi, RF controlled ceiling fans, RF cameras, RF anything and you live near a cell tower and a police station, you may need the $150 with the triple shielding plus foil before you get a good signal from your PS3 to the TV. The length of the cable makes a big difference also, the longer the cable the longer the antenna, get it? If you have a 3’ HDMI cable you might be able to get away with a cheap one but if you are running +10 feet then you would want to get the more expensive one. Anyway best buy has a 30 day return policy, buy the cheap one if it works, count your blessings and move on, if you get artifacts or digital noise, return it and buy the more expensive one. If you still have problems buy a shorter cable or move to another room. Point is not everyone needs to run out and buy a $150 HDMI cable, unless they want bragging rights or are just too rich to care. And don’t get me started on $150 fiber optic cables or I will have to slap you LOL!

5. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I did say, you may need a better Q cable if you are going a long distance, and not to buy very cheep $10 cables, but 95% of the time your not going to need a $150 cable. mine was about $35 each £20.00 gold conectors, 10' and are perfect never seen any artifacts or digital noise. even the very cheep one I got with my SKY HD works fine, but I wanted a longer cable.

I was just pointing out the standard does not mean much to the cable. A old v1.0 cable will still work with 1.3 equipment, unless its very cheep.

All these digital cables will used twisted pairs, to help with interfearance. 100MB network cables are not even shilded and will go 300' and the data on those does not get curpt. also now we have 16M DSL going 5 miles on 1 twisted pair. no shield, and how many times to you get a curpt website.

6. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

You are forgetting one thing, With ether-net you have handshaking that will send another packet if one is corrupt. This could happen every second and you would never know unless you used a network analyzer or a wire scope. If a data packet gets corrupt on a HDMI cable there is no time to resend the bad data it either rounds off the bad bit and you never notice or you get artifacts and noise. The filters in the TV play a big part in this as well. If you take a look at the new Sony full HD TVs compared to an LG you will see the difference in the Sony, the signal filtering is much better in the Sony, it also costs $1000 more for the Sony. The Sony TV will actually make a bad signal look better than a cheaper TV will.

There are many things that play a part in video signals, Twisted pair only decouples about 40dBuV where good shielding can decouple 100dBuV, the equipment tolerance may be as low as 20dBuV before signal data is lost between pairs. The twisted pair is still ok and is much cheaper than a shielded cable. The data that comes from HDMI is much more compact and streaming constantly. Try to pipe a ~1900X1080p signal over ether-net and see if it can handle it without loosing quality. There is a reason they do not use ether-net connections for high definition tv signals.

7. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

know HDMI is much higher band width and your not going to get 1080P via Ethernet. I was just trying to make simplify things. you obvious know your stuff very well. but for most 90% of the people in 90% of situations I don't think they could tell the differences from a $30 cable to a $150 and in most situations there would not be one. but in extreme distance or environment’s there maybe need to a $150 cable, but its a lot different that the old analog systems where a good cable would make a differences, now you will only need an expensive cable if you have a problem.

Is there no error checking on HDMI, not even like on CD where you have 3 copies and take the most common one. (simplified again.

8. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

EXACTLY!!! That lil article sounds good.. but theory isnt and idea not proven..... In the real world... I have a 15 dollar HDMI cable and have compared it to other cables of more expense amount and.. they all had the same quality, picture depth and all the "big words" article love to use to throw you off....Unless you have super human vision, i doubt you can see the difference between 2 different hdmi cables.. I like my 15 dollar cable....