1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI audio

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Mr_Pink, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Yes, I know HDMI does both the audio and video. My question is, when I use the HDMI, does the audio only emanate from the TV's speakers or can I some how work the home theater system into it? The reason I ask is because my home theater system kicks some major booty. The speakers on my LCD flat panel would most likely pale in comparison. If the HDMI outputs to the TV's speakers only, that would suck.

Sorry for the noob question but this is my first foray into the world of HD.

2. AE27

AE27 Regular member

The only way I know of is this way since I presume your receiver doesnt have HDMI pass through: HDMI cord going from the PS3 directly into TV. Optical Audio cord going directly from PS3 to surround sound receiver. With the PS3 settings, Settings>Display Settings>HDMI>Automatic. Then, it asked for audio and chose the optical.

3. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

OHHHH

that would explain why, long before I bought this new TV, the optical audio cord I have didn't work. I think. I dunno. We'll see what happens. I should have everything hooked up by Monday.

Thanks though!

Can anyone confirm AE27's method?

4. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Yes its correct, i currently have my 5.1 DTS system outputing the PS3,s audio through the fibre optical cable, as my sound system doesnt have HDMI in/out.
    Second best thing to HDMI.
    Near time for an upgrade me thinks.

5. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Grazie!

I can't wait to get this up and running. I can finally maximize the PS3's video quality and now sound quality. I wish I wasn't working this entire weekend.

6. Sudds

Sudds Active member

If your online i,ll play ya.
    Search for Suddss and add me to your buddie list.

7. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

I'll look for ya online. I forget what my online ID is lol. I forget if I've included a number on my name.

Anyway, today, when I get home from work, I should start putting it all together. I can't wait to play the PS3 in widescreen. I can finally see everything on screen! lol

I'll keep yas posted.

8. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Well, I finally have my new LCD tv installed.

So far, it's connected like this: PS3 to the TV via the HDMI. Since the TV's speakers suck compared to my kickass sound system, I've used an optical audio cable from the PS3 to the receiver. It's unreal the stark difference between optical and regular red/white rca.

The DVD player is connected to my TV through the component input. Its audio is connected via the red/white rca cables (the DVD player doesn't have an optical input nor an HDMI).

My cable box will also be connected through the component input. And even though the cable box does have an optical audio input (in addition to an HDMI connection), I'll simply use the red/white rca cable for audio to the home theater system.

9. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Good stuff, and now your ready to go!