1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI & Audio

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by davecabez, Dec 20, 2011.

1. davecabez

davecabez Member

Hi,

My problem is that I have an InFocus HD projector which does not have any facility for Audio. I use an HD multi Player to play most of my HD Films etc. but the problem again is that even though the multi player has Audio out it only becomes active when the unit is switched to component out and NOT HDMI.

So does anyone know how I can somehow strip the Audio from the HDMI feed, Stereo is all I need. I've searched for any unit which would give me what I want but the only way I've found is to buy an HDMI A/V unit which costs a small fortune.

Regards,

Dave

2. Kannz

Kannz Regular member

your "hd projector" doesnt have a optical audio port? that one port no one really uses and it glows red when the unit is on. even a ps2 had one. also I heard you can use a RCA or component converter that goes from rca/component to optical audio. For my xbox360 I used a dvi to hdmi cable for video and a rca to optical adapter for the audio.

3. davecabez

davecabez Member

No audio out at all I even checked the manual and it states that if using HDMI input then there is no facility for audio out.A real omission I reckon for a mid range projector.

Dave

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Is it an SP8602? For the price you paid it should also have S/PDIF and/or TOSLINK out but it doesn't. Better check your setup referring to your manual. Check your player to make sure HDMI is is enabled. Different versions of HDMI 1.0-1.4 support different types of audio/video and is downward compatible. Just to be safe make sure you are using a 1.4 spec HDMI cable.

Jeff

5. davecabez

davecabez Member

Hi Jeff,
    The HDMI video signal on the projector gives a great image so that side of things is OK, it's just that I cannot get any audio. I worked out a temporary get round by using a powered 2way HDMI splitter and then a HDMI to composite cable to feed my amplifier with the sound and the other HDMI output to my projector but it is a bit messy.

Regards,

Dave

6. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

The HDMI video working properly but not the audio is a common problem. It sure sounds like something is not correct regarding the audio between your player, projector and amp. I assume your receiver has HDMI inputs..?.? You shouldn't have to use a work around. RCA is analog. You want to stream digital audio from your player. Double check the audio setup between the three components.

Jeff

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. davecabez

davecabez Member

Hi Jeff,

The media player I have has 3 different outputs but they are switchable so only 1 output is available at a time and the only true HD output is the HDMI the others are component and VGA. As I said the Projector has no facility for sound at all the only way I can get the sound is by using the compnent input an taking the L&R sound to my amp which does not have HDMI inputs.

Dave

8. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

HDMI has audio and video in one cable. So you do have digital audio capability with your projector.

My Denon 3805 has a DVI-D input. DVI-D does not support audio. I use DVI-D/TOSLINK for my PC video card (audio/video output) and S/PDIF for my Blu-ray player. DVI-D wouldn't help you either because your projector only supports HDMI and component audio.

Since your amp does not have HDMI you are stuck with RCA for audio. Maybe your next upgrade will be a receiver?

Jeff

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. davecabez

davecabez Member

Hi Jeff,
    I do have audio in the projector but the projector does not have speakers or an audio out of any description, so although strictly speaking I have audio at the projector I cannot access it.

dave

10. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

As I described above I'm stuck with DVI-D. My TV also only has a DVI-D input using TOSLINK to the Denon. Using a DVI-D > HDMI adapter adapter to a matrix 4x2 HDMI switcher I can view the TV either and/or on my PC flat panel and TV separately or simultaneously. Same with the Blu-ray player.

Jeff