1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cable question

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by AngryWite, Dec 30, 2007.

1. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

phil, can a dvd upconverter play HD DVDs?

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I think you should have the satellite hooked to component, you'll want your HD DVD player on your only HDMI input.

3. Zarbletz

Zarbletz Member

I have an antique (barely 4 years old) setup. DVI, since HDMI wasn't out yet. Anyway, I have both component cables AND a HDMI/DVI cable going to my Hitachi Widescreen DVI.

The DVI cable provides MUCH better color / clarity than the component cables. The cables are all Monster, so they shouldn't be the issue.

There are HDMI switches which will allow multiple HDMI sources to be funneled into a single HDMI connection on your TV. I don't believe you need the $100 monster cables, just not the $12.00 Walmart specials. BUT HDMI is definitely better than going component.

Your mileage may vary.

4. philzone

philzone Regular member

sorry bro. no dice. but hd dvd players are all(i think) backward compatible to play regular dvds.

mysticE is right about the hdmi cable for sat. What i meant was have them hook up hdmi(sat) for now. because the cable is expensive, and if they will provide one for hookup, you got a free cable. component cables are glorified composite cables.
    hdmi is a very high bandwidth signal transfer, and should definitely be used for the hd player(once he gets it).

@Zarbletz
    I totally agree with your expensive cable assessment. I believe monster cables are a cruel joke played on the consumer. They are absolutely unneeded. Sales commissions are very high on monster stuff, so they are pushed on people everywhere.
    In fact they(monster composite) fit way too tight. back in the day of tapes i had a high-end h.k. tape deck. Once, when i went to unhook it, the female composite end(on tape deck) ripped right out, and was permanently stuck on my wonderful monster cable.

My good friend bill works for b&k components. they regularly get people calling in with broken composite jacks. ALWAYS monster cables.

5. Cigarafi

Cigarafi Member

fry's got hdmi cables from 15 to 70 bucks what the hell is the difference,, do you get what you pay for? or a cable is a cable

6. philzone

philzone Regular member

generally speaking, a cable is a cable. unless you get a total cheezoid.
    by that, i mean its really stiff and no copper or gold contacts.
    hdmi is a digital interconnect. digital info is a stream of 1s and 0s. either they get there, or they dont. they dont degrade really, and if it does, than the 1s and 0s dont get there, and you get nothing(over long distances). I find rca cables are a good in-between. there not cheezoid, but they are cheap, and they get the 1s and 0's to their destination.
    Anolog signal transfer is a bit different. Analog signal actually has "integrity". they are sensitive to AC interferance, and can even be affected by coiling it around itself, or magnetic interferance. analog signal will degrade over long distances before it "doesnt get there"
    in short(too late), good quality analog cables... but not monster.

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

8. DesB

DesB Regular member

Hi Gang,

forgive me if I am on the wrong thread, but perhaps someone could point me in the right direction, ok here goes.........I recently bought a Sony bravia LCD, and joined it up to a Pioneer home cinema,and my existing cable box, could someone please advise me on the best cables to buy to join these together, if its possible i would like to put the sound through the home cinema all the time instead of only when the dvd is playing, what and how many scart, and audio leads should i get. please advise..and anything else i should get would also be appreciated, thanks in advance

Des DUBLIN

9. DesB

DesB Regular member

Due to lack of response... I am obviously on the wrong thread!! is there any one kind enough to point me to the correct thread..
    many thanks in advance.

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You should start your own thread, that's always the best way.

11. DesB

DesB Regular member

Many thanks for your suggestion Mystic, might just try that... thanks for replying....

12. kenj59

kenj59 Member

Here is my experience, perhaps it will help.

I got an Emerson 32 inch LCD, a lower cost Funai built set, and a $100 Sony upconverting DVD player which included the HDMI cable. The picture quality from rental DVD movies makes me swear the images are high definition! And I get no variation from DVD to DVD, either.

I now make wide-screen DVDs from my camcorder using Adobe Premiere Elements and this equipment automatically shows the video full-screen without having to make any adjustments for picture size. The image quality for home video is the best I have ever had. Hope this helps someone.

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Good info... almost. Funai also makes (at least has) some Philips sets. The exact model of the Sony would help.

14. kenj59

kenj59 Member

I've read where Funai makes Sylvania, too.

The Sony DVD player model is DVP-NS71HP that I got at Costco a few months ago. A friend got the 77 model and likes the performance of his, too.