1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cable

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Angeliamc, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Angeliamc

Angeliamc Member

We just recently purchased a 50" Panasonic HDTV. The sales associate sold us a $75 HDMI cable. Is this necessary? We're not really sure what this is for, as we don't have a clue about this kind of stuff. If the HDMI cable is necessary, is one that costs this much necessary? We haven't opened the package yet so we can return it and look elswhere for something cheaper if it is needed.

Thanks!!

2. Rustbuket

Rustbuket Member

You'd need a HDMI cable to go from say.. a dvd player that has HDMI output to your tv's HDMI input. I have a 1080i upconverter dvd player and the picture is beautiful using the HDMI jacks!
    But, you got scammed on the cable, unless it's a really long cable or something. I picked up a 6 ft HDMI cable off amazon.com for 1.99 plus shipping and it's been working great.
    If you can go with a 6 ft cable i'd get the one on amazon and save myself $70 bucks. at the price on amazon, i bought 2 of them for 7 or 8 dollars deliverd usps.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  3. DILLY03

DILLY03 Member

I'd also have to say you got scammed mate! Got a 1.5m HDMI cable with 24k gold plate connectors for £12.99 including delivery from Play.com! & you don't really want a HDMI cable longer than 5m as it starts to affect the picture quality.

4. Angeliamc

Angeliamc Member

We were pretty sure we got scammed, that's why we never opened the package! We have a DVR currently and will also have a DVD player going to that TV. Without the cable, does that just mean the the high definition functionality wouldn't work at all or just not as well?

5. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

yes that's what they do in places like that, guess it was circuit
    city or ect..they teach sales ass. to do that.

they sell those same cables at wal-mart, a whole lot cheaper, they
    come from china/or other aswell..

gday to all

6. Rustbuket

Rustbuket Member

Yes. You need hi-def in to see hi-def on your screen. You should have a digital tuner in it and if you run a outdoor tv antenna you can get your local prime time shows in 1080 hi-def. Thats what i do. For everything else i use RCA Jacks from the VCR and SAT. Enjoy the new tv!

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I'd use the HDMI cable for your DVD player(if it has HDMI output)and use a set of component cables(RED/BLUE/GREEN)for the DVR.

Without the HDMI cable you will not be able to get a high-def signal unless you use a set of component cables. Is the DVR box an HD set top?

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  9. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Oh yes, I've never seen any logic to spending so much on a cable. I am a believer in quality but I don't like the idea of being over-charged.

Here in Australia a HDMI Monster cable sells for about $150+. I got my 1.5m HDMI cable for $40. It has everything a high quality cable should... Braided cabling, metal casing, gold plated connectors etc.

10. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Like this one here, come on, nitrogen gas-injected dielectric?? Does that really improve anything?