1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI, Component and 5.1 surround

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by rowski, Nov 12, 2007.

1. rowski

rowski Member

Purchased a ps3 and a lcd moniter with HDMI input, but the speakers are

2. rowski

rowski Member

tinny. I was wondering if there is any way to connect the ps3 to a 5.1 surround sound speaker system via cable, whilst still utilizing the HDMI connection?
    Ta

3. rowski

rowski Member

Forgot to mention [duh!], the LCD does not have a headphone jack or anything to use as a port for the speakers...

4. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

In the future, you don't need to keep adding new messages to a thread. Instead, just edit the first one. The option to edit is in the bottom right of your message posted.

Anyway, it all depends on your setup. I got my PS3 connected with an HDMI cable from the TV to the PS3. But the TV's speakers sucks so I use the optical audio cable to connect the PS3 to my home theater system.

Just check to see what you have in the back and you should be able to do what I did. With the PS3, in the XMB, be sure to adjust the audio settings so that it outputs to the optical cable instead of the HDMI cable.

5. rowski

rowski Member

Apologies for the multiple posts, hunted for the edit button, but all i found was the edit thread title link...
    I'm purchasing some 5.1 speakers from ebuyer [uk] next week. None of them seem to have optical input :s

Can anyone reccoment any budget 5.1 speakers with optical input?

6. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

I forget which model I have, but I have a Sony theater system that wasn't too expensive. It was under $200 USD. It has the optical input, obviously. What's your price range?

It makes a big difference, trust me. I output the PS3 to the theater system BEFORE the optical cable, and even though it was still 5.1, after purchasing an optical cable on ebay for like 5 bucks, the difference is amazing.

7. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Why not get a home theater system with HDMI passthrough,it means youll have top quality sound and still be able to use it on your monitor.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  8. rowski

rowski Member

To be honest Mr pink, after looking at all the 5.1 surround sound kits on ebuyer, ranging from 17 to 120 watts for under fifty quid [$100] i was convinced that it would be cheap and within my very limited price range. The set-up is only for my bedroom on a 22" HD tv. I would like 5.1 around my room though - watch some dvd's, games, and i do alot of music recording and listening etc, so whilst ultra cool, is a 5.1 system too big an investment, or even feasable for a poor student, who was only going to spend the equivalent of $100 on a sound system?

9. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Yes, using the HDMI is better for sound, but if the home theater system (like mine) doesn't have the input, I can't connect it. And like I said before, my TV speakers suck, so to only use the HDMI cable for audio is ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm sure you can find a 5.1 system on a budget. And because the optical audio output is no longer new, I'm sure you can find a system for cheap with at least that to boost your playing experience.